1 || The news

Listen to the song above while reading this chapter :)

•••

"Hello. I'm looking for Miss Lydia Martin?" A deep voice asked over the phone.

"Speaking." She replied casually. She was sure it would simply be a telemarketing call.

"Miss Martin, this is deputy Davidson from the Beacon Hills police department. We need you to come down to the station as soon as possible." The man informs her. She's broken out into a cold sweat, anxious of what's to come.

"I uh... What's going on?" She questions.

"Ma'am, I think you would prefer hearing this in person. We will see you shortly." He mumbles before hanging up the phone, leaving her in silence.

It had been almost two hours since Stiles had gone to the supermarket to pick up some milk and fruit. Lydia hadn't thought much of it until now. Stiles took his time doing anything; he stopped to smile at babies, talked to the cashiers for what felt like ages and read the label on every product before buying it. It had to be some sort of mistake. She knew he was chatting up an elderly woman as these thoughts filled her mind. Well, she didn't know for sure, but she knew. Or at least she thought she did.

She threw her phone across the room as tears streamed down her face. She slammed her palm against the kitchen wall, leaving her hand a bright red colour. She calmed herself down before rushing to the door of their apartment and grabbing the car keys. Their apartment. The strawberry blonde was tempted to call her soulmate, but she couldn't bring herself to, in fear that he wouldn't pick up. It would only cause her to worry more, so she hurried to the station to hear what was happening for herself.

~

Lydia sprinted through the front doors of the police station with a flustered look on her face, trying not to jump to conclusions. She'd already come up with dozens of scenarios in her head, each one worse than the last.

"I'm looking for deputy Davidson." She exclaims as she stands in front of the secretary desk.

"That would be me. Do you happen to be Miss Martin?" A tall, muscular man asks from down the hall, holding up his hand.

"Yes. Lydia Martin. Can you please tell me what's happening?" She asked, approaching him cautiously.

"Ma'am, we should step into my office." He whispers before guiding her to a typical office, it almost felt like being in the principal's office at school. The room was cold, to reflect the news she was about to get. Lydia takes a seat on a plastic chair across from deputy Davidson, who is now sat at his bare desk.

"Miss Martin, I'm very sorry, but Stiles Stilinski has been involved in a car accident." He begins. Lydia places her hand over mouth in shock and doesn't even notice that she isn't able to get a breath in until the man is shouting.

"Miss Martin, take a deep breath for me." The man exclaims. "Lydia, breathe!" He yells a little louder, noticing her face beginning to go a deep shade of red. All Lydia could hear was ringing and her vision was blurry. She felt tears coming, but didn't feel them upon her cheeks.

Finally, she manages to breathe before the sound of her sobs fill the room. She takes a few deep breaths, which calm her instantly.

"Are you alright?" The deputy asks, obviously concerned.

"Yes. Please, continue."

"Okay. He was rushed to hospital and is currently in critical condition, but they're doing the best they can. I'm very sorry, ma'am." He explains.