"You're crazy. Who's phone are you on?"

"Mrs. Kempfer. She fell asleep watching TV so I just borrowed it."

"Carter, you know that's not right. What if she wakeod up and sees you?"

"I'll just say she left it somewhere and I found it. She does it all the time. Like this one time she left her glasses in the freezer."

"Ok but stealing isn't nice."

"I'm going to give it back. Therefore, its not stealing."

"Promise?"

"Promise. Besides I live with the lady. She'll know I have it. Anyway, I called because I miss you and Sergeant told me that you have sons now. I want to met them."

"You will meet them one day.'

"Ok. Well, I have to go. I hear Mrs. Kempfer."

"Ok. Goodbye." He hung up and all I could do is laugh. What will we do when we adopt him.

"Who was that?" Val asked walked into the kitchen and sat down to eat breakfast

"That was Carter."

"How'd he get your number?"

"He said that they keep a record of who calls."

"Smart kid."

"A little too smart. He's a good kid though."

"Still have an agreement of adopting him?"

"Yes. I wouldn't mind him being around. Wait, I would spend all day with him everyday."

"Oh yeah, you are his teacher."Val laughed.

"Oh boy. I guess he won't be that bad once I get uses to him being around."

"I have to hurry up and eat so I can meet Nick. Out flight leaves in 2 hours." The thought of her leaving made me lose my appetite. I pushed my food away and got up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Just full."

"You ate half of a waffle." I shrugged and walked away. 20 minutes later Val's cab was here and it was time for her to go. Before I she left she kissed the boys. "Remember what I told you two." She said to them.

"Don't forget your hat." I said putting it on her head.

"I love you." She said before grabbing me and kissing me. Half of me wanted another kiss the other half wanted to punch her in the face.

"Two weeks?"

"Two weeks. My family should be here 2 days before me." She kissed me again and then she left

(Val's POV)

I played it cool until I got into the cab. I started over thinking and regretting everything. What am I thinking just leaving like that?

"Are you ook back there?" The cab driver asked. It was then that I noticed that I was talking to myself

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure. You sound like a crazy back there."

"Yes I'm sure. Sorry about that." I got to the airport and went through security which seemed like forever. Nick was already there with his wife who I looked familiar.

"Valentine?" She said

"You two know each other?" Nick asked

"You do look familiar. Where do I know you from?"

"High school. I left our sophomore year." She said and that's when it hit me. I used to date her. Why does everyone come to Texas? It's a great place but my past always finds me here.

"Oh so you guys went to school together."

"She was also my girlfriend." Briana said. Nick looked at me and I looked away.

"We're talking about this on the plane." He said after they called our flight. He kissed Briana and we boarded the plane.

There was no escaping the conversation. 16 hours on a plane sitting right next to him was going to be a pain.

"So. You used to date my wife huh?" He asked

"Yes."

"How long?"

"Just our freshman year."

"Did you two ever-"

"We never had sex. The most we ever did was kiss. I could tell she didn't really like me. It was just something she wanted to try."

"Ok. So theres-"

"No there are no feelings there. I have a fiancé."

"Can you let me finished a a sentence?"

"Sorry. I just know what you're about to say."

"Ok. Well I'm done now." He wasn't really done. This went on for the next 8 hours and then he fell asleep.