15

(Chloe's POV)

*Wednesday*

It was Wednesday and I still haven't told the children that Val was coming. Carter has been asking about her every five minuted for two days. Now its 11:40 and I was just hoping that Val would show up soon or Carter would loose his mind. Just when I thought I would have to lock Carter in the closet Val knocked on the door.

"Ok everyone! I need everyone to sit down. A have a visitor." I said trying to get everyone in their seats

"Is it Dr. Coleman?" Lucy asked

"No. Its Sergeant Dexter." I said opening the door

"Sorry I'm late. I was doing spy stuff." She whispered as she walked in

"Hi Sergeant!" Carter yelled across the classroom

"Hello Curly." Val said laughing

"Ok so, Sergeant Dexter was requested to come back and speak to y'all. If anyone needs me I'm going to be at my desk." I walked over to my desk and before I knew it they all had questions.

"Why don't you have on your army clothes?" Leah asked

"Well I didn't have to be on base today." Val answered

"Why did you cut your hair?" Lucy asked

"Its easier to manage. When your in the military, your can't touch the collar of tour shirt."

"Last time you were here my mama asked my aunt if you were gay." Devin, another student of mine said. The room went quiet and I didn't know if I was supposed to interrupt or not.

"Umm ok. Does anyone have any questions." Lucy raised her hand." Yes Lucy?"

"Can you answer the question?"

"What question?" Val asked

"Are you gay?"

"That's not an appropriate question."

"We would still like to know." Nicholas said

"Do they always poke around in people's business like this?" Val asked looking over at me

"Yup. You haven't even seen the worst of it yet." I said without taking my eyes off of my computer screen. Val turned to face the kids again and they were all just staring at her.

"Well if you guys must know, yes, I am gay." My students acted completely different from how I thought they would and its safe to say Val was surprised too. The kids didn't say anything. They didn't even blink. Lucy shrugged it off and Carter raised his hand. That's when I got scared.

"Do gay people eat cats because one time a boy in my home said that?" I couldn't help but laugh. It was totally inappropriate and at that point I had to intervene.

"Ok class. Its almost time for lunch so if anyone has lunch from home, please go get it now and come straight back to your seats."

"Thanks for saving me." Val whispered

"No problem. You were drowning out there soldier." She just smiled and shook her head.

By the time everyone was finished, it was time to head over to the cafeteria. I got them all lined up and walked them into the lunch room. I got instant stares from Gracie and she was at my table before I was. I still hadn't told her what happened after our little date and I know she was wondering.

"Hey Ms. Ellison." Gracie said with a giant smile

"Hi. Mrs. Hunter." I said sitting down. "You remember Sergeant Dexter?"