23

(Val's POV)

I've moved from New York to Texas, fell in love, and found out I'm getting deployed all in 2 months. Plus I have to figure out what the hell Nina is up to. Too bad I can't because I have to leave. Now I'm standing in the bathroom in Chloe's house at 2 am talking to myself. Trying to convince myself that I've done this before and I can do it again. The only thing is every time its a nightmare. Yes I cried. I'm fucking scared. I watched a fellow soldier get his arm blown off. I've seen someone get shot. Its not a game out there and when you go to a soldiers funeral and you see their wife or husband maybe even their kids cry by their casket, it hits you. You could be in that casket. That could be your mother crying and holding you dog tag in her hands.

I crawled back in bed with Chloe. She was up waiting for me to get back in bed.

"Why aren't you sleep?" I asked

"Because you left. I was going to go back to sleep but I heard you crying."

"You must think I'm weak now huh?"

"No. You risk your life for a country who doesn't even know you exist. If you didn't cry I would be concerned. Valentine, I don't want you going there thinking about me. You have job to do. I honestly don't feel like I deserve you."

"Are you crazy? I'm the one who doesn't deserve you. You are a nice and smart elementary school teacher with crazy students. You are willing to stick with me through this and we haven't been together that long."

"Like I said my mama didn't raise a quitter."

"Oh, I sent my mom a picture of you and she said you look like one of those blonde haired Barbie dolls."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yeah. She also said she would like to meet you. I gave her your number and told her she should call you."

"Ok. Now go to sleep. Its 2 am."

"But-"

"I don't want to hear it."

I groaned and got comfortable under the covers.

When I woke up it was late. It was almost 1 and Chloe wasn't in bed with me. I got up and took a shower and then reality hit me again. I would leave today and go home then I'll go to war. When I got out the shower, Chloe still wasn't in the room. When I found her she was standing on the back porch in her robe. I came up behind her and wrapped her arms around her.

"You're about to leave?" She asked

"Yeah. I have to go get my things ready and then report to base. I'll leave first thing in the morning."

She turned around and buried her head in my chest. She was broken and I wouldn't be here to comfort her.

"Dammit Valentine! I'm scared."

"I know. Me too."

"Val, I love you."

"I love you too." I stood there holding her waiting for her to say something else.

"Well, I guess you should be going. Its crazy because I don't know the next time I'll see you again."

"Soon. You'll see me soon."

I got my things and Chloe walked me to the front door.

"Take care of that necklace. I need it safe and sound when I get back." That's if I get back.

"Don't worry. I will never take it off." I grabbed her and held her tight lifting her off the ground. I put her back down and kissed her. Praying to God that it wasn't out last kiss. She stood there and watched me get in my car. For some reason I couldn't get myself to put the key in the ignition. I knew I was wasting time. I shook it off and drove off.

(Chloe's POV)

Well as you might already know I burst into tears as soon as Val drove off. I held it in for so long. I called Cara and she came over. I told her everything.

"Ok so let me see if I got this right. You met her at a little career thing at your job, you fell in love with her, then her friend crazy ex girlfriend tried to break y'all, and now she's off to Iraq?"

"Yup."

"Do where'd you get that necklace?"

"Well, I asked her how will I know she's really coming back and she gave me her necklace and told me she'll be back for it."

"Does mama know about her?"

"Yeah and her mom thinks I look like a barbie doll."

"Do you think you'll be able to hold out until she comes back?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you don't know how long she'll be gone. What if someone is interested in you?"

"I'll just have to wait. I made a promise, Cara. There's no going back."

"Well as long as you're happy, I'm happy."

"I'm trying so hard to be happy. This just came out of no where."

"You'll get through it and I will be here to support you the whole way. Right along with mama."

We both laughed. It was something that I needed. Today was my first day of forever and I was ready-ish