prologue

luke was awoken early to a loud blaring coming from his phone telling him he had to get up for work. he sighed, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and sat up. today was the first official day of summer and also his first day working at layton's pharmacy. he was only 16 so he would only be working the cash register but it was still too much to be waking up at 7 a.m. for.

after a few more minutes of sitting in bed, luke groggily pushed his blanket off of him and stood from the bed. he squealed when his feet hit the cold floor and darted towards the rug he had in the middle of the floor. luke lived in the basement and he really loved having his own private area in his overcrowded house but the floor was always cold since it was concrete.

taking a deep breathe, he sprinted towards his bathroom and turned on the shower hoping it would wake him up. after his shower, he quickly dressed in all black as it was uniform and blow dried his hair before sweeping it to the side and placing a red flower crown on his head.

he grinned at his reflection and skipped up the stairs to greet his mother only to find a note stuck to the fridge

'morning lukey, i was called into work. i'm sorry i couldn't be home to take you to your first day. i'm so proud of you though. my baby boy is growing up :) could you take paisley to the babysitter for me?  she should be getting up soon. i love you, mom xx'

luke sighed and crumbled the note, throwing it into the bin and grabbing an apple from the fridge. his mother had to work a lot to support all her kids and luke understood that but she always missed everything that happened in luke's life. sure, his first day at work wasn't a big date in the calendar but he still would've liked her home to calm his nerves.

he quickly finished his apple and made his way upstairs to where his baby sister was sleeping soundly with her thumb in her mouth. luke smiled small as he shook the toddler awake. paisley scrunched up her face before opening her big brown eyes.

"hey there, princess." luke said, brushing her curls out of her face.

"where's mommy?" the girl frowned when seeing that once again, it was one of her brothers waking her up and not liz herself.

"she's at work." luke sighed, lifting up the toddler and placing her on his hip.

"oh."

luke ruffled the girl's hair with a sad smile, walking across the hall and banging on his brother's door. "mike, get up! i need you to take paisley to ms. susan's, i have work!"

the door opened a minute later, revealing michael who resembled a trufula tree with his blue hair poking out in different directions causing paisley to tiredly giggle.

"where's mom?" michael asked luke tiredly.

"she was called in again at the hospital."

"oh." michael frowned just as paisley did moments before.