Chapter Five

The Arwain Chronicles: Birth of a Following; New Students...

Elly, as everyone called her, walked into the alpha's house. This would be the new place they would call home. At least that is, till they moved again. Her jaws gritted hard as Greg's male scent hit her sensitive nose. Of all the werewolves in the pack he could have been son of, why did he have to be the son of her father's second in command.

Immediately without any real conscious thought to it, she shifted her movements to those of stealth. If she could help it, she would avoid having to meet the arrogant male. She turned down the hall that led to her room. Her hand reached out for the handle of the door to her room. "Are we playing hide and seek?" her hand clenched into a tight fist an inch away from the door knob.

Schooling her features to hide her annoyance, she turned to face him. "No Greg, I'm going to my room. We've just covered hundreds of miles in one run moving here. I need some rest," she said turning back to her door.

They had moved away from their previous territory after being there for the previous fifty years. Not that they had been pushed out of the territory by any other pack. People started asking all the wrong kind of questions when after fifty years you till looked eighteen years. Being the strongest pack in the US, other packs would have to have a crazy alpha or a collective death wish to go against them.

They did however, have to keep changing residence every fifty years to keep from being found out by the humans, this was the fifth change in residence she'd made since birth. Using any of the human means of transport would have raised unnecessary suspicion and directed unwanted attention to them. People would wonder why close to nine hundred people suddenly upped and moved to a town in the middle of nowhere. And that was the kind of attention the pack didn't need. The move had been made on foot, or on paws, whichever way you chose to look at it. A two day non-stop run across a fifteen hundred mile stretch from their previous home.

"Don't tell me that that short run has little princess Elly all wiped out," Greg's smug voice was heard.

Elly's jaws clenched tighter if that was even possible. In that one sentence he'd managed to do both things she hated most about him. She hated the way Greg took every chance he could get to brag. Trying to remind everyone who cared to pay him two seconds worth of attention, that he was the strongest male among the younger members of the pack and most likely the next prospective alpha.

The only thing she hated about him more than this was the way he always found ways to insinuate or act like she was weaker than him. Being daughter to the alpha, she was the strongest female in the whole pack second only to her own mother. She was every bit as strong as he was, something that she knew he really hated to acknowledge or admit to anyone.

"My name is Elliana," she replied her voice icy.

"Whatever you say princess," Greg replied his voice teasing.

"Is there any actual point to this conversation or are you simply short of females to pester?" she asked her glare meeting him straight in the eye.

"I thought you knew it by now princess, I am never short of females, or in other areas for that matter," he spoke his voice smug.

Elly turned and reached for the door knob once again. "Your father wants to see us all," she heard Greg's voice just as she was about to push open the door to her room. "Let Vicky know, won't you?"

A growl escaped Elly's lips as she turned around and walked up to Greg. Her irises had taken on the crimson red color of her wolf's eyes as it rose close to the surface, the color of an alpha wolf. "Call him that again, see if I don't rip out your throat right now," she dared him. Her claws were already drawn as she stood toe to toe with him, waiting to see if he was actually stupid enough to repeat his words.