Chapter Twenty-One

I sleep lightly, not wanting my alarm to go off long enough to wake Caither. At the first buzz, I hit the off button and roll out of bed, yawning. It's going to be a long day.

I dress quickly in the dark and creep out the door, closing it as quietly as possible behind me.

"Where are you off to this early?" Briar's voice, although low, makes me jump.

I stammer an explanation, unsure if it is strictly within the rules to be training before breakfast. Now that I'm talking to Briar, it does seem to give us an unfair advantage for the performance reviews.

"I haven't seen you in the gym before, though." He frowns, as if wondering if he could have possibly overlooked me.

"This is my first time. Kaz talked me into it."

Briar nods then jerks his head towards the door, inviting me to walk with him. "He works out most days with us."

"Us?"

"All the trainers get in an early morning workout before instructing all day."

"And it's okay that recruits join you?" I ask. "It's not cheating or anything?"

He holds the door to lower stairwell for me once we reach the lounge.

"Nope. If you're motivated to get up early to train harder, you deserve to perform better in your reviews."

Interesting. Of course, the Kuzabn would value motivation.

Kaz and Eveia meet us coming back up the stairs.

"Sorry," Eveia says. "We got down here and then remembered you were coming, too."

Kaz eyes me with Briar. I suppose I'll never shake their suspicions, especially thanks to Caither.

"It's fine," I say.

Kaz holds the door to the gym. "You forget, too?" he says as I pass.

I feel like he's insinuating more than a lapse in memory. I'm saved from answering when Hejae calls my name.

"I'm a little disappointed in you." He leans on a long wooden staff. "I thought we had a connection."

Briar kicks the staff as he walks past, knocking Hejae off balance.

"Guess I had something more to offer." He grins good-naturedly.

"You have the allure of weaponry, sure, but we both know her raw talent lies with me." He smirks at Briar, and then shakes his head at me. "We could be great together, Nadia."

"There's still time for you to change my mind," I point out.

"Not if I can help it." Briar picks up a stick similar to the one in Hejae's hand and spins it three times before swinging it into the nearest punching bag.

Hejae winks at me, then goes back to practicing on his own punching bag. I join Eveia and Kaz at the Simulation mat.

"Were they talking about training you or getting in your pants?" Eveia asks.

"Training." I'm embarrassed by even the suggestion of anything physical. "They're instructors. Aren't there rules against that?"

"I don't think the Kuzabn have many rules." Kaz hooks himself to the simulation.

I think of all Briar's floor rules. Clearly, Shark must not be as orderly.

"Besides," he continues, "they're both two young guys, barely older than us, surrounded by vulnerable girls all day, every day."