She wondered how Ra was still sane after an adventure like that.

"I am from Galvania," Shen chimed in, "It's a rather large city that I am sure some of you have heard of. While I may not have a very interesting story to share like all of you seem to so far... I've seen my fair share of hardships. I lived with my uncle for most of my childhood and all of my adolescent years because my father died doing the very thing I am doing now... fighting a war. As far as my mother goes, I know nothing of her. She died giving birth to me," he looked down, "I wish I could have known her. The years my father was here, he told me many great things about her..."

Iris understood his situation... as she no longer had a mother.

"But, that is all I wish to divulge for now. What of you, Jehrth?"

At that moment, she zoned out from the small-talk happening around her and began to think of erratic things that had no relation to anything going on around her, or in her life in general. As she thought of one thing after another, she could hear them speaking for a long while... though she wasn't sure exactly what they were saying, until one of them finally addressed her.

"Ingred, where are you from?"

She snapped out of her stupor and had to think for a moment before replying.

"I'm from the village of Eda, which is not far from here. In fact, I passed through this very clearing to get to the camp," she paused briefly. "It's... large."

"Well good," said Ra, "I fuckin' hate trees. Too many bugs."

"Eda?" the general looked backwards at Iris, "I've been there a time or two before. Actually had a good friend there. Unfortunately, he was an older man. He passed away a few years back. I was not close enough to attend his funeral service, but I wish I could've been. His name was Herins. Herins Regis. Perhaps you have heard of him?"

Iris picked at her brain after his name rang a bell, but couldn't find where she knew it from. "I've heard of him. I don't remember where."

"Ah, I would tell you more about him, but he didn't really speak of his life before he became a soldier. He had to be a good fifty years older than you, Ingred," the general then proceeded to ask a question, "How old are you? If I had to guess, I'd say twenty two."

She almost chuckled at him. "Close. I am three moons from twenty one."

"Ah... well, you are a tad young for war, then?"

"So were you," Iris said indignantly, not wanting her youth to cloud the other soldier's judgment of her. She bit her tongue after saying that, hoping that her statement wouldn't anger him. She watched as his shoulders shook with silent laughter. Of all responses, she had not expected this one.

"That I was," he said. "Age is a number, and naught else. Any avid man can become something great if he aspires it."

Iris put her foot in her mouth.

What of an avid woman? She couldn't help but think to herself.What would you say if you knew that I was one? Would you be so supporting of me if you knew that I am instead Iris Gwenneth, the standalone daughter of Elliot Gwenneth, not Ingred Gwenneth?

"Well thank you, General. Your comment gives me hope," she finally said. It was almost the truth.

"You must've already had some degree of hope," Zayn pointed out. "You worked hard at camp. I'm not sure if I ever caught anyone else exercising after midnight. If that's not dedication, I couldn't tell you what is. In that regard, even I could stand to be more like you."