Part Seven

"I just.... You and Dr Reid?"

Twenty minutes later and Hotch was still shell shocked. You'd given him a brief run down of how you and Reid had come to end up in this situation, steering clear of the nitty gritty. He didn't need to know that.

"And you've just acted totally normal around him at work, knowing you're carrying his child."

"Hey.... Don't you start judging me again Aaron. I thought we'd become friends. I can do without that right now, he's already hating on me enough."

You took a sip from the water you'd fetched after Reid had stormed out.

"I'm not judging you. I'm sorry if it sounds like that. And we are friends... "

You could sense a 'but'.

You were right. He continued tentatively.

"But, Reid has every right to hate you right now. He's just found out someone is having his baby, but that he's not allowed to play a part."

You sighed. Hotch was right.

"Y/N why do you so badly not want him to be in this child's life? Is it completely selfish reasons, because you don't get on with him?"

Selfish.... Yep, that was you.

"You know he'd make a good father. He's kind and considerate, and you know any child that has both of your genes is going to be the next Einstein. She's going to be a handful."

She.... Your little girl. Reid's little girl.
Who he'd threatened to sue you for custody of.

"Shit... Hotch. Could he really take her away from me?" As much as you'd initially not wanted this thing, you'd at least come round to the idea of it, making concessions in your life.

And you weren't going through another five months of hell just to have nothing to show for at the end of it. The ultrasound earlier had peeled another thin layer of away of whatever was coating your hidden maternal instinct. She was your baby. Your property.

"He could certainly try. I doubt any court would award him full custody though as it's not like you're unfit to be a mother. But if he was serious, then he'd stand a good chance of joint access. And you could provide him that without costing both of you thousands of dollars."

He was right again.

Ugh.

"Y/N look... I can't tell you what to do here. But if I put myself in Spencers shoes right now, I know I'd be heartbroken. He'll be an excellent father, and now he knows; you don't have to leave or transfer away from the BAU. You two can work something out, where he can help you and be a part of this little girls life."

Taking a deep breath and closing your eyes, you spoke. "Call him please. Get him to come back."
....

Twenty minutes later and Spencer was sat on your couch wearing an expression that, try as you might, you couldn't read.
Hotch had left when he had returned, telling you to call him if you needed him.

You seriously were beginning to wonder what you'd do without that man in your life. Since finding out you were pregnant, you'd seen a totally different side to the normally stoic and unemotional boss you normally saw. One thing was right. At least now Spencer knew, you probably wouldn't leave.

He looked at you expectantly, and you knew you should start talking. But that meant having to admit that you were wrong to not tell him, and you hated admitting you were wrong.

Another two minutes of silence passed, Reid fiddling with his tie and you scanning the room looking anywhere else but at him.

Your mouth opened and closed seven times before you finally muttered out a quiet "I'm sorry."