You could hear Reid laughing quietly to yourself as you hung up, plastering an apologetic look on your face.

"I'm so sorry, I'm needed. It's been great, but my colleague is outside waiting for me." You started to make your way towards the door, Bretton following you.

"How did they know where you were? I didn't tell you where we were going until I picked you up."

Shit, he's right. You spotted Reids tiny little Beetle, always amused that someone as tall as him would choose such a small car. He'd listed a hundred reasons when you'd asked him about it but you'd shut off after the seventh.

"Erm..... The FBI tracks my location constantly in case I'm needed urgently. Part of my employment contract with them is that I must always carry a tracking device."

"Really? That's so cool. Can I see it. I'd love to be able to describe one in my writings."

Oh for fuck sake. You rummaged in your purse seeing a tiny orange tampon container, the hard plastic cases that you could carry when you were trying to be discreet. Fuck it, you had plenty of them at home and weren't due on for another week anyway. You dug it out and handed it to him before walking around to the passenger side of Spencers car and pulling the door open.

"Keep it. I have like ten. I'll get our tech analyst to disable it later." You slid into the car closing the door and hearing a "wow, that's so..... Wait what?"

You glanced out the window seeing that he'd opened it and was holding the tampon, staring at it curiously.

"Drive Spencer, drive! " You burst out laughing as your unlikely rescuer put his foot down and sped out of the car park and onto the main road.

"Did you seriously just try to convince that guy that a feminine hygiene product was a government issued tracking device?"

"Yep!" You glanced at him and you both started giggling again.

You rarely spent time with your colleague outside of work, he'd come out with you, Penny and Derek a few times but generally always left early. Everyone on the team had been surprised that you two hadn't become fast friends. Spencer was only a few years older than you, and you were both seriously smart, loving books and nerdy stuff like Dr Who. It wasn't that you weren't friends, but.....you were more colleagues than anything.

It didn't stop you all socialising as a team and it didn't impede your working relationship. You shared a mutual respect for each other, but you just didn't click with him the way you did with the others. You'd tried, and he'd tried too, but there was a invisible boundary preventing you from being the good friends everyone else seemed to think you should be.

Still, it was nicer seeing a relaxed smiling Spencer for a change. And you appreciated the fact that he come all this way to pick you up. You told him so.

"Thank you by the way. For coming to get me."

"No problem. What was his problem anyway?"

"Not knowing the difference between their, there and they're. " You saw the confused look on his face and explained about Brettons so called novel.

"Seriously? God Y/N, I thought you had better taste than that!"

"I do, normally." You searched through your large bag for the emergency hip flask you carried for when dates when wrong. Finding it, you unscrewed the cap and took a swallow.

"What's that?"

"Captain Morgans Spiced Rum. Best drink ever." You took another gulp, it burning you throat as you swallowed, the buzz hitting a few seconds later. "I'd offer you some, but ya know. Driving and all that."

"Its fine. But.... You're drinking something named Morgan. You realise the double entendre there right?"

"Oh definitely. I'd drink him down like pop given the chance." You waggled your eyebrows suggestively.

"Oh like you haven't already." Spencer smirked at you. You ignored the comment.

"What's up with you anyway. It's not very often they manage to drag you out on a Friday night. You finally read every book ever written or something?"

"Nope. Just fancied it. But then when Penelope and Derek abandoned me for more exciting options it got a bit boring."

"Well maybe you should have found your own exciting option?"

He laughed again at you, the sound not unpleasant to your ears. "Yeah, as if. Erm... It's down here right? You live on Oak Valley Road right?"

You nodded. He'd been in the car a few times when you'd been dropped off.

It was only when he turned into your street that you felt a sense of dread.

Emptying your bag out onto your lap and the foot well, you wanted to kick your self.

"Problem?" Reid asked.

"My house keys are in my drawer at work. I can't get in." You sighed, trying remember whether you'd left any windows open a small amount. Probably not. Working where you did had conditioned you to always leave your home fully secured.

"Shit. I can drive you back. Have you got your pass on you? Mines at home."

You shook your head. You'd been in a rush to meet Bretton and you could picture your pass and your keys exact position inside your drawer. And it was another forty five minutes there and back to work.

"Okay, we'll have to swing by mine then and grab my pass first. Or....... " He looked uncomfortable as he suggested the next part " You can just stay on my couch and I can drive you in tomorrow?"

You considered the options. Another hour and a half before you could relax, or spend the night on a couch.

Fuck it, you'd slept in worse places than Spencer Reids couch. "I'm sorry for putting you out Spencer. Is it okay if I stay?"

He nodded and made a three point turn, pointing the car in the direction of his apartment.

Little did you know, this was the worse choice you could have possibly made.