Chapter 21: One Step At A Time

Start from the beginning

The car ride was silent, only the song Gone, Gone, Gone by Phillip Phillips filled the background. She was so focused on the road that she didn't realise Nikolei was humming to the tunes softly. A minute after, Alexandra's phone rang loudly from the inside of her bag.

"Hello."

Nikolei stopped moving and humming as he too focused on the road in front of him. His ears perked up all so sudden when the next sentence came out of the woman's mouth caught his attention.

"How's your talk, sweetie? I bet the handsome lad like you intimidated the new residents." She said cheerfully.

The man seated beside her couldn't help it but to feel the burning, searing pain etched on his heart as he listened to the conversation Alexandra was having on the phone. He knew very well who was calling her, and jealousy started to fill the void in his heart very rapidly as he listened to them. His body was tensed as he turned his head dismissively to his side of the window.

She used to call him sweetie too.

"Okay. Love you too. Bye." With that, Alexandra ended the call.

Half an hour later, Alexandra halted her car right in front of Nikolei's big gate. She pulled the handbrake and faced Nikolei on her side.

"Here we are!" She uttered excitedly.

A faint sigh escaped his lips as Nikolei stared at the gate in front of him before facing towards Alexandra who was smiling cheerfully at him. He chuckled, just seconds ago she was all sleepy and woozy and now, she's smiling from ear to ear with that happy aura around her.

That, was when his smile faltered when he realised what's the real reason was behind her happy smile.

That good morning call from Grant Carson.

He grunted and faked a smile, "Uh, thank you for the ride. See you around."

Alexandra nodded her head and watched him as he got out of her car. Soon after, she drove away from the mansion and made her way to her apartment. Nikolei stayed and watched as she drove away from the neighbourhood. He made a guttural sound as he took step by step towards his house.

It's Saturday and Nikolei knew that his late entrance and yesterday's absence would raise a brow on the members of his household faces, especially Maria and Gayle. As for Boris, he would always zipped his lips and never spoke a word about it unless there was something really important.

The huge mahogany door creaked slightly as he pushed it open. He sighed, thinking that would bring some attention to him and he was not wrong. Maria strutted out from the kitchen and paused midway as she silently stared at him for a while.

He sighed, "Yes, Maria?"

"As much as your father tried to cover up for you last night young man, I know the excuses he used were not it." She said softly, with her hands on her hips. "Judging by the neatly wrapped bandage around your hand, I assume there are more to the story."

"Where's Gayle?" He asked instead.

"He's in the theater room with Boris watching some cartoons. You haven't eaten, have you? Come, I'll fix you some hash brown and roasted baby carrots."

They walked into the kitchen and Maria scooped up the food onto his plate. She slid the plate carefully towards him and leaned against the marble counter.

"Now, explain yourself young lad."

"I fell asleep at a bakery last night and the owner drove me back here." He said.