You were fine with other people's kids though, you'd just... never wanted one of your own. Jack and you had had a good old play with his action figures, sprawled out on the floor whilst Aaron had prepared food for you both. Whilst you'd been eating you'd tentively asked if he'd maybe accompany you to your scan appointment in three days time. The only other person you'd have normally asked or confided in about something like this, Garcia, being out of bounds currently due to your own imposed limitations.

He'd accepted with a huge grin on his face and you'd both laughed when you'd joked about them probably thinking you two were a couple.

"No offence Hotch, but I think of you more as a father figure than someone I'd like to climb into bed with."

"None taken at all Y/N, in fact I'm kind of honoured that you think of me that way at all."

So here you were, sat on yet another hospital bed with your tummy exposed, your boss sat to the side of the bed.

You'd registered with an OB/GYN five weeks ago, them giving you a quick scan then and there confirming that you were in fact around fourteen weeks pregnant at that time. Then gone through the normal questions and provided you with yet another stack of pamphlets containing information you'd already Googled online.

You'd become adept at hiding your tiny bump which luckily, appeared to be behaving itself and not making you blow up and giving away your cover. Slightly baggier clothes and well placed accessories were working well.

The harder part had been adjusting your social life, and letting Morgan down gently. You'd become accustomed to hanging out with him and Garcia outside of work, bar hopping and generally getting up to no good. You still went out, but insisted on being the one to fetch the drinks each time, having a word with the bar staff and tipping them well to ensure that your drinks were always the none alcoholic version. Acting drunk wasn't a exactly a science.

Morgan hadn't been too heartbroken either. You and him had developed a 'thing' not long after you and he who shall not be named had broken up. Mutual benefits which given your current situation, definitely couldn't go on. He could not know about what was happening inside your body. Not yet at least. You'd tell him when the time was right....or when you had no choice but to. Which ever came first.

Hotch knew about your 'thing' and you knew what he suspected, but you were neither going to confirm or deny it. You were still insisting on going this alone. And the truth would be obvious when the child was born anyway, but hopefully you'd have a home in another state and a whole new life sorted by then.

The ultrasound technician finished tapping away at her screen before squirting clear squishy gel onto the slight curve of your tummy, warning you that it might be cold.

"Nineteen weeks right? We should be able to find out the sex today if the babys position is right. That's of course, if you and Dad want to?" She eyed you and Aaron carefully.

Chuckling as your prediction had come true you explained, "He's just a friend. The 'Dad' isn't part of the picture. My choice. And yes, I think I'd like to know."

"Okay dokey." She placed the wand to your tummy and you both turned to view the screen hearing a loud whooshing noise.

The first scan you'd had, you'd not been interested at all and there'd barely been anything to see.

Five weeks on though, and there was a huge difference.

The technician rattled off measurements, her assistant inputting them into your records as you watched the figure on the screen.

It was.... A baby. A tiny, black and white image of a small human being. A small you.

You could make out its head clearly and it's arms and legs, a hand moving on the screen. That was inside you. You'd made that. And it looked harmless, like it wouldn't hurt a fly.

Huh.

"So this isn't one hundred percent accurate, you can't be absolutely certain until the baby is born. But.... It looks like you're having a little girl."

Oh.... OH.

And then a tiny lump in your throat. You turned to look at Hotch, him smiling at you and squeezing your hand.

"Maybe we will be family after all Aaron? Eight years between Jack and this little peanut."

"I was just thinking the same thing Y/N."

......

You were back at the office, scan photos tucked safely away in your bag.

The appointment had been a lunchtime one, and you had files to be getting on with.

Quitting time came and you packed up, ready to leave and waving good bye to everyone else who was gathering their own belongings.

Walking to the elevator with JJ and Rossi, you crashed straight into Penelope Garcia who was rushing around like a little ball of energy as normal. She sent your bag and the contents flying across the floor, you scurrying to pick everything up when you realised what was in there.

"Shit, bugger, fuck. Sorry Y/N." She bent down helping you pick up the items, reaching for and grabbing the one thing you'd hoped she wouldn't.

She turned the card over, her eyes widening as she took in the image in front of her along with the name and dates.

"Y/N?"

JJ and Rossi looked confused and you knew there was no point in trying to lie.

"Yes, I am."

"OH MY GOD." she squealed, tossing the photo to JJ and Dave as she enveloped you in a huge hug. "Why the hell didn't you tell me. I'd have come with you. Was that were you were today?"

You nodded, feeling immediately guilty for not confiding in her. She was the closest thing you had to a best friend within the team.

"Congratulations Y/N." The other two hugged you one by one, as they passed the photo between them, smiling at you with warm grins.

"Hey hey hey, what's all this. What are we missing out on over here." Morgan and Spencer started to walk over, the commotion Penelope had caused grabbing their attention.

"Y/Ns pregnant!" Penelope squeaked.

JJ handed the ultrasound picture to the two men and you watched them with baited breath, knowing he'd see the dates and figure it out for himself.

As his eyes raised themselves to yours, you knew he'd put two and two together and got four.

You grabbed your bag and bolted.