True Friendship 29

1970

-------------

I woke up and found John asleep next to me. He finally had come home some time in the night. I went to the porch of our new home, in New York. Took the paper and went to the kitchen. I sat it down on the counter and began fixing food. As i was stirring the eggs something caught my attention in the paper. I stopped what i was doing and unfolded it. 

I gasped and and ran into our room. John was just sitting up and i went over to show him the article in the paper.

"What happened last night?" I asked eagerly.

"Nothing...big." He said taking the paper slowly then slamming it on the floor.

"Im glad its all over!" He said and marched off into the bathroom.

"But what happened?"

"Paul phoned me last night and told me he was leaving."

"Why didn't he tell you at the studio what happened?"

"He's being thick. To pushy, i was trying to put him in his place. But it never works with him. Everything must go his way." John frowned and stepped out.

"But you and Paul were so close!"

"We just have different interests now, Fer. We're older for once. Paul can live with it." He said and went to the kitchen.

"Whats cooking?"

"John, does this mean its all over? The Beatles, your best friend?" I asked him.

"Yes. Im afraid so." john said softly then turned the stove off. "You could've caught the house on fire."

I giggled. The Beatles had grown...grown apart. John was recording an album so i guess now he feels he has more time for his stuff. But i cant believe he's not friends with his best friend any more, well at least Paul seems like he isn't.

"What are you doing today?" I asked him as we sat down to eat.

"Relaxing at home." He smiled and looked at the piece of food on his fork.

"Not going to record your album?"

"No, since we're not recording im taking off today, probably to write a song and thats it."

"Oh, well," I paused.

"Yes?"

"Nothing." i smiled.

He nodded and we finished our food. He then went to our room and read the paper. I told him i was going out, and left. I went down and walked to Paul's place. When he answered he was just getting up.

"Oh, hello." He said.

"Hello. Why'd you do it?"

"Wha...oh this?" He held the paper up. "Because i'm stuck up. John was being to demanding. But im working on an album."

I stared in confusion. "Are you sure, John said it was you."

"It was him." Paul said and started to walk away.

"Dont shut me out!"

"You don't need to come in."

"I know! But aren't you gonna say good bye?"

He thought for a minute, i was shocked. "Bye." HE said abruptly and shut the door.

"Whats his problem?" I mumbled. As i walked down the pavement George just came out of his car.

"Hey Fer!" He said smiling.

"Hey! First one to say that."

"Am i? What are you doing here?"