Chapter 3 - A Maid for Whom?

Huge thank you to @xo_umzz for the astonishing cover!!!

This book is bipolar - one day it's depressing, another, well, it's very cheerful. The chapters express my current mood :)

"Your breakfast, Sir Cross." A light, bubbly voice mocked as I turned the corner to see a girl about my age standing in front of a door. Before I had the chance to raise my hand to wave, a tall figure, definetely taller than myself, stepped in front of her and snatched the tray away before turning and facing me with a cold and lifeless expression.

"You're late," He quietly spoke, but I could feel the rage dripping from the two simple words. Only his jet black hair, strong jawline, neatly shaved stubble, and bulging muscles made up for his frozen heart. Almost.

"I'm sorry?" I questioned. I was only 6 minutes late. Fine. Six minutes twenty nine seconds. That still does not explain the reason for his grudge on me on my very first day.

As the other girl turned around, clearly used to the bipolar dick in front of her, she hopped up and down and waved at me happily. "You're the new maid? I'm Sabrina Cross, this bad boy's sister!" She cocked her thumb in his direction and pouted like a baby. "He's a little bipolar, but he has his reasons." She rushed out the last few words and sprinted towards me, grabbing my shoulders, and dropping her chin on my shoulder.

All I could do was stare in amusement as Sir Cross huffed and refocused his attention on me.

"This will not be tolerated from this day on, Madam Davis. Now, since Sabrina so gladly fetched me my breakfast, I would advise you to hurry along and clean the room before you get yourself fired. I can tell you really need this money." He snorted at the last sentence, turned on his heel, and swiftly walked away, tray with food in his right hand.

Not long after he turned the corner, Sabrina lifted her chin and skipped away into what I'm assuming was her room, quickly shouting a "See yah!!" With her back turned towards me.

I, being the only one standing in the bright but empty hallway, rushed into the room Black came out of just a few minutes ago and began scrubbing everything I saw, although I could hardly see any dust on his drawers, bed, or nightstand.

The room, as I had noted a long while ago, seemed dimmer and darker than any other room in the castle, although the bed seemed softer and more welcoming despite the black and grey sheets piled on top of it.

As I finished mopping the coffee colored, wooden floor, Black strode into the room and didn't look a tad bit impressed. He spent about ten minutes lecturing me about mopping the floors in one direction, and, although I had no idea why it mattered so much, wearing slippers instead of being barefoot in his dungeon, as I preffered to refer to it.

As I walked outside of Black's room, ready to be done with today, I spotted Sabrina chatting away with another girl. She seemed quieter than her companion, only replying "yeah," and "really?" every once in a while, although she still seemed to be having fun.

"So I just threw the coconut sundae in her face and walked away!" She screeched, making awkward motions with her fingertips. Her eyes widened a fraction as she saw me, and her grin seemed to grow bigger and bigger the closer I got. "Hi!! Ash, it's the new maid I told you about!! What's your name again?" She finally spoke.

I giggled and introduced myself Paige Davis, to which she moaned,"That's too looong!! How about Pay?" She giggled as I snorted at her lazyness, but gave in anyway.

Finally, Ash, I'm assuming her actual name is Ashley, stretched out the palm of her hand and, instead of shaking it, high fived me like someone would do after a great football game.

"I'm Ashley, but, as you can see, Sabrina calls me Ash. I like Lee, too, but Ash is more recognizable," She giggled and I only now noticed that she was dressed in a professional tennis outfit - black shorts and a neon green tight-fitted shirt.

"You play tennis?" I asked in a high pitched voice.

She nodded and turned toward Sabrina, who was studying a text message that she received on her phone.

"I play tennis in college with a scholarship," She clarified."I'm twenty."

Sabrina seemed very proud of her friend because the second she turned off her phone, she wrapped her arms around her neck and smiled at her flabbergasted face.

"She's not a talker, but she's a bomb on the field!" She said honorably. "And you," She pointed her index finger at my nose."Are some sort of miracle. My brother fires maids quicker than Sandra can spread her legs, and trust me, she screwed at least two thirds of the guys at my university. Excluding the nerdy ones with acne."

She scrunched her nose, but quickly recovered."You have lasted more than three quarters of the girls he had working for him. And. You. Were. Late." She growled non-threateningly.

I awkwardly giggled and scratched the back of my head. "So what? Surely others have caught his interest too."

Ash and Sabrina exchanged amused glances and shook their heads.

-#-

The days have repeated themselves, and I don't remember being late to make breakfast and clean Black's already perfect room. I have been getting particularly close to Ash and Sab, who constantly were nagging me about Black and I, our love, and secret feelings.

Although I haven't gotten my hopes up and only focused on my paycheck, I have been secretly developing an interest towards Black. Nothing more. I was curious about him.

So, one day, I put caution to the wind and spit out a random question,"So how come you always leave when I clean the room?" I questioned him just before he turned the corner. That got him by surprise, since he came to a sudden halt and slowly faced towards me, only now making me notice his glowing amber orbs.

The eye contact made me uncomfortable, but I didn't back down and puffed out my chest to show dominance.

At that he raised his eyebrow and spoke in a monotone voice, "You will be weeding the garden and watering the plants starting tomorrow. I don't think I need you cleaning my room, it's clean enough." At that he finally left me to continue my daily task.

I tiptoed into his room and shut the door behind me. Before I could begin polishing the floor, I bent down to retreive a neatly folded paper that lay on he floor by Black's desk, the journal it fell out of wide open on the chair.

Before I could stop myself, I unfolded the paper and saw a neat sketch of a girl that looked around 13 years old, riding her bike while listening to music. It touched my heart on so many levels, although it also made it ache.

But, above all, I felt the need to find out who it is.

Was it Black's?

Sorry this took so long :( I was busy with a project, but here you go! Xoxoxo

<FIGHT MEH>