Chapter 08 - Moment of Truth

{Play Drag Me Down - One Direction}

Sebastian's POV

"Get off your hands with my man bitch!" Caroline's protest.

"What are you doing here Caroline?" I was shocked to see her here. She said she won't come.

"You're asking me what am I doing? I should be the one asking you that! What are you two doing? You're a bitch!" She pointed at Kaye. Caroline smells drunk. I know she always make her presence felt but not this way. This could be the effect of alcohol on her.

"Don't make a scene here!" I whispered sorry to Kaye before I let go. Tss. Bad timing! Then I hold Caroline's hands abruptly and led her to the exit so she couldn't protest.

When I think that we're now alone at the garden, I let go of Caroline.

"What is the fiasco for Caroline?"

"I'm just getting my man back!"

"You know I was never yours Caroline!"

"Nooo! Don't say that Babe! I know you still love me."

"You know our relationship wasn't bound by love!" It is so hard to explain to a drunken woman.

"Oh yeah. We were only bound by a secret and a deal." She said bitterly.

"Before we seal our deal, I made myself clear that I'm inlove with somebody else and that I can't love you back. And last week, I made myself clear again that we are over Caroline!"

She was disappointed. She looked at my side then put on her composure. "Aren't you afraid Kristine might know your little secret?" She smirked.

I don't know what's running inside this girl's head but I want to answer her honestly. "Yes. I'm afraid she might know the truth. But I am now more afraid to lose her!"

"What secret Basty? What truth I should not know?"Kaye asked confusedly.

"Kaye.." The only thing I muttered. I didn't know she's followed us.. with Adam. Damn! This isn't the right time yet.

"You tell me Basty!" She demanded.

"This isn't the right time Kaye. Please understand." I tried to explain.

"Ooh. Looks like Sebastian couldn't tell you the truth. Poor Kristine! But don't worry, I'll tell you." Caroline's offer.

This girl is really getting in my skin. I can't bear her anymore. "Get out here Caroline!" She looked really shock but I care no more! "I said get out!" I shouted at her and she immediately run away.

Silence. The tension here is getting thicker.

"What's the truth Basty?" Kaye asked once again.

"Okay. I will tell you the truth not because you insisted but because I also plan to tell you this, it's just not today."

She nodded then keep silent, patiently waiting for my explanation.

I breathed deep. Moment of truth.

"I can't remember the first time I fell inlove with you. If it was on our sophomore year in high school when you can't hold the softball bat for long because you said it was too heavy for your arms, or when you danced gracefully at the Christmas Presentation on Grade Four, or when I put icing cake on your face on my seventh birthday, or maybe even when we always shared our snacks on Kindergarten. I knew I love you from the start. Even before you confessed your feelings for me on that night at the rooftop, I knew I love you."

"You said I was just a friend to you!Why did you lie? If you knew we were inlove with each other, what's the problem Basty?" She asked.

"Because that's the problem Kaye! I have loved you too much to the point that I'm so afraid to lose you, I betrayed you!"

She looked confused. This is the first time she's hearing this."What do you mean you betrayed me?"

"Remember when you auditioned for the prestigious school for dancing and the arts in New York?"

"Yes. It was one of my biggest dreams to enter that school. I've waited for their response hoping I would be one of them. But it never came." I saw how her world slowly fell apart that time. From that moment, she disregarded her love for dancing. She never dances again.

"I know how graceful you can dance and it is no doubt you'll be accepted in your audition. I got too scared you'll leave me and forget everything we had here if you'll fly to New York. Caroline knew about this and offered me a deal. I connived with Caroline so you won't be accepted in that school. Her Aunt is one of the staff in that school and she stole your video tape before they can even watch your entry. In exchange of that, I will pretend to be her boyfriend."

Shock is very visible in her expression.

"I'm sorry Kaye. I'm so sorry for keeping this to you." I know my apologies will never be enough. "I accepted Caroline's offer because I cannot afford to lose you. Even though we cannot be together because I was bound to Caroline, it is enough for me because I got see you everyday, hangout with you every weekend, and I can still love you."

"No Basty! You don't really love me! You don't really love me because you are selfish!" She's crying. It pains me to see that I'm the reason of her tears. "All this time you made me so stupid! Of all people, you know how much I love to dance! You know how much I wanted to be part of that school. And you know how devastated I have been when I felt so rejected. All my life, you stood by me when no one else was ever behind me. I thought no one will drag me down when in the first place, it was also you who did this to me. It would have been acceptable for me when they watched my tape then rejected me than my bestfriend had it stolen and pretended to be so concerned!"

"But Kaye I just did it out of my love for you."

"Love? Love isn't selfish Basty! You only did it for your own sake! You didn't even consider our friendship."

"No! You know you're my bestfriend. You are so special to me I even love you more than a friend! I know I haven't said it to you but I made sure you'll feel it. You are always on top of my priorities. Whenever you need me, I'm at your side on dot. When you're not feeling well, I take care of you. I attend to your every need. Even though I'm being unfair to Caroline as her boyfriend, I'm always there for you and I always put you on first so you will never feel alone and unloved." I slowly walk towards her.

"I never asked you to!"

"I know. But I want to!" I hugged her but she's struggling.

"You wanted to because you're feeling obliged to me after what you did!"

"I did it because I love you! And I will still do it over and over again for you! That's how much I love you!" I kissed her. I wanna let her feel my love for her. Selfish as it may seem, but I don't want her to go.

Then she slapped me, hard!

"I'll take you out of here, let's go Kristine." Adam commanded and held Kristine's hand.

They were about to go when I called Kaye and held her other hand. She looked me in the eyes. Misery, hatred and betrayal are written all over her face. Damn! This is my entire fault. I've hurt the one I love. But I'm still hoping. I'm begging for her to stay. Please Kristine. Choose me. Please stay!

"Let go of me Sebastian."