“Yeah?” Rebekah asked offhandedly.

“Last night, did you see any signs of abuse prior to the rape?”

She gave Drew her full attention on that note.

“Oh, Drew, what do you think? She’s jumpy and very observant on people’s mannerisms.”

“She does watch everyone intently. What did you find?”

“Obviously, he was abusive and she’s been with him for who knows how long. She had three fresh welts on her backside. She had twelve scars, previous welts.”

Drew was sickened by the information. “He was punishing her.”

Rebekah led her into the lounge and pulled two waters from the refrigerator.

“Go on.” Rebekah said taking a sip from the cool refreshment while Drew fiddled with the bottle in her hands.

“He’s holding something over her head that is making her believe she’s at fault. She believes she has done something horrible and deserves whatever he’s doing to hurt her. She may have done something, a secret only he knows.”

“Something from her past.” Rebekah added.

 “Whatever she did couldn’t have been that bad.”

“He has probably exaggerated it to an extent”

They both pondered off until Drew said one last thing.

“I need to make a few phone calls.”

******************************************************************

“Sara, if you could prop your knees up I’m going to take a quick peek.” Rebekah said needing to look at the stitches. Sara didn’t realize how badly he hurt her. He was too rough this time.

She looked anxiously for Drew; Rebekah said she was coming in.

“We’ll wait for her don’t worry.”

Sara felt sick wishing to be anywhere but where she was.

Drew came through looking at her phone screen, speedily typing a message. She gave a sideways glance at Sara.

“How do you feel?”

“Okay.”