Chapter 10 - [Prince]

Start from the beginning

I nodded.

This was great.

This was exactly what I needed. This would be a way for me to help my claim to the throne. No wonder my uncle was unhappy with this decision.

"And, Atumankhkare," my uncle started. "If you do anything foolish, I swear to you that you will regret ever getting this opportunity."

I was certain that he was trying to frighten me... but I refused to let him frighten me.

My uncle was never meant to be the Pharaoh. He stole that position from me. And on top of stealing it, he made a fool out of my father by destroying all of the peace my father worked so hard to build and maintain.

If this was going to help me get what was truly meant to be mine, then I will do the best that I could.

"Do not worry, my Pharaoh," I said. "I will not let you down."

He narrowed his eyes at me.

And I smiled, because I was most definitely going to let him down.

I was going to let him down by doing an excellent job.

~ ☥ ~

Things felt like they were beginning to work out for me. It almost felt like everything was going wrong for the last little while but now it was turning around.

I started studying even more than usual for the next couple days. I needed to catch up... to refresh my mind of all the important things I needed to know to be a good Pharaoh... even if it was temporary. Lady Akila was more than willing to help me on this, as were the other court members.

I studied like this for an entire week. It was the most I've ever really pushed myself in my life. And I think Lady Akila noticed that too. "My prince," she said as she walked over to me.

I was sitting at my desk, reading a big book about morals that Lord Asim had brought for me from the temple library. When I looked at her, she put her hand on my shoulder.

"Do you not think you are working too hard, my Prince?"

"I have to make sure I don't make any mistakes–"

"And you will not," she squeezed my shoulder before pulling her hand away and smiling at me. "You mustn't forget that you are not in this alone. All of your court members will be there to guide you and help you. But for now, you need to take a break, my Prince."

"A break?"

"A long break," she said. "Maybe you should relax until your uncle leaves. The last think you need is to get ill once your uncle leaves. Save up your energy for now, you have studied enough."

She was right.

Getting ill would not be good.

So I nodded and then stretched. "You're right," I started. "I'll go for a walk and then sleep."

"Good," she looked a little relived.

So with that, I stood up and left my room, Lady Akila leaving right behind me.

It was getting late. The sun was setting and everyone in the palace were either trying to finish off their daily tasks in order to get ready to go to sleep, or already finished and back at home.

So the halls were not exactly bustling with as much activity as usual.

I really liked this time of day. It was quiet and calm, but not as quiet and motionless as night. What made it all even better was the fact that Ra looked gorgeous near the horizon, filling the sky with orange and yellow rays.