Chapter 4 My own horse

My own horse

I stayed in a room at the pub with Yvonne and the other women from the group. I found out that her name is Thalia. The other man is called Emmet.

Those two seem the strictest of the group.

The night was short. We got up while it was still dark out. We ate rather quick. After breakfast we went to the stables.

The group of people who have chosen me of all people to go with them, had bought their own horses with them. I needed to choose a horse of my own.

I was told that they were given some money for me to use to buy anything that I would need.

First on the list of my many things I would need is riding gear which consists of the thickest material for trousers and a thick woollen waist coat to help keep you warm. The next on my list is a water pouch. The third is a worthy steed and full tack.

The trousers and top came to twelve copper pieces and the water bag came copper pieces.

There was two rows of horses at the stables. None of which look like they are right for me. They were all blacks, whites and light bays. I walk down to the end and see a beautiful horse.

I chose the bay mare that the owner said has a bit of a temperament when he noticed which one I had picked out. That is because she was a devil for other riders or at least that's what the owner said I can tell that she has been mistreated.

That is also why we got her so cheap. She cost eight copper pieces and two bronze pieces whereas all the others cost around three silver pieces.

We got just out of the village when she decided to bolt. That is until I close my eyes and counted to three I opened my eyes and stroke her. She stopped straight away.

The others caught up to me and looked at me oddly. They shook their heads at me then carried on.

After that my horse was calm. I leaned into her mare wrapped my arms around her and whispered "It's ok Chestnut." She flicked her whole body and walked calmly after the others.

The ride has just begun and I have a feeling we have a long road ahead.