Chapter 11: Cloven

Start from the beginning

"What have you told her?" I took a threatening step towards him. "What did you tell her, you son of-"

He snapped his fingers to cut me off and laughed.

"What did you tell her?" I growled.

He shrugged, but didn't step back. I was going to make him regret that.

"Hold on!" He put his hands up as I raised a fist. "Can't we just have a nice, civil talk? Like gentlemen?"

"There's nothing gentle about you."

He grinned. "That sounded sexual."

"Go to Hell."

Abigail turned to face us again. Our noses were a few inches apart as she stared at us, bewildered. "What's Hell?"

I began, "It's where this-"

"It's just a place," said Damian, cutting off my words. "A bad place. You don't wanna go there."

"Are you from there?" she asked Damian.

"No."

"Yes," I said.

"What would happen if I jumped off?" asked Ayva. She was staring out across the river again. "Would I die?"

"Yes," answered Damian. "But it'd be quick. Easy. A woman did it a few weeks ago. Remember that story in the paper, Caleb? She jumped. Right off. It was at nighttime, so nobody saw her." He smiled wickedly, but I could see gloominess behind it. The grin faded and he was left with a depressed expression. "Almost nobody."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

He sighed. "I ..."

"You were with her?"

He nodded. "I was standing where you are." He backed up a pace. "She was here. We talked. She was curious to know about me. She laughed. I told her my story, all of it. More than even you know." Damian bowed his head. "She jumped. So I walked away."

"Why didn't you tell the police?" I asked. "Maybe they... I don't know. They should just know about that kind of stuff."

"What are the police good for?" he asked with a dry laugh. "They're looking for Ayva and we've been standing on a bridge for three hours. And they don't even know. Haven't seen us or anything. How's that for the police?" He spat the last word.

"They only just got the call an hour or so ago. My aunt did it herself."

"What!" He pounded a fist into his hand. "They're coming? Now? Of all times. They've been called? Well... ugh Caleb. You ruined everything. I had a plan!" He stepped towards me. "You always ruin everything!"

I stepped away nervously, trying to reach for Ayva's hand but missing. "What the heck? What's wrong?"

"I had a plan! A whole, elaborate plan and it was beautiful and it was perfect and there was nobody to stop it. I was like a god! But I can't do that now. Not now that the police know. They've seen us. I'm sure. They probably have cameras on this bridge or something. Right now! Who knows? Maybe the next car that passes is a cop, coming to arrest me."

"Arrest you?" I asked. "What for?"

"Oh, I don't know. Kidnappings. Stealing. Murder. Take your pick."

"Murder?" I exclaimed. "Who did... What?"

He grinned and reached out a hand for Ayva.

"Ayva!" I shouted instantly. "Come here!"