Nikolai - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Roe sat in the lobby, on the leather seats, reading an Anne Rice novel. She acted as if the men chattering by the elevators didn’t want to rip her to shreds, the receptionist blitzing through the Italian language to the Roman Council on the telephone didn’t want to lick the last drop of blood off of her fingertips, as if she could feel safe in a room filled with blood craving monsters.

“We’re leaving,” Nikolai said behind her. She jumped, sending her book flying.

He couldn’t laugh. He started walking; she was cramming her shit into her bag then with a hop in her step, caught up with him.

“I thought you would have eaten,” She commented as they pushed through the huge glass doors of the Council HQ.

“You thought wrong,” He scratched his neck, then in a blink had lit and brought a cigarette to his lips, never faltering a step.

“Well, do you want to feed? Or are you the vampire equivalent of an anorexic?”

He shushed her. She mumbled a curse; she hated when he did that.

“You know what, fuck it! Starve! FUCK!” She snapped.

“Would you want me to feed off of you instead?” He snapped right back.

“If it meant you weren’t such a cranky fuck!” She shouted.

He stopped. She was pace behind. A blanket of darkness shrouded them. Velvety blue that caressed the walls. They were in an alley way. Stunk of urine, blood and sweat.

“I didn’t take you for a blood whore,” He hissed.

“What?!”

“You’ve allowed some stupid vampire to feed off of you. That’s where you were, that’s where you’ve been,” He sighed, it was clear and sad.

“Didn’t take you for a prude, and what I do affects you in no way, and you must never call me a whore!” She said with anger scratching at the back of her throat.

He felt her frustration seep into the cold night air.

“He’s not worthy of you,” He said after much consideration.

“Who is?” She asked, too quickly.

“I am,” A familiar hiss curled around her neck, Nikolai snapped round, shocked he didn’t realise the vampire’s entrance.

His stink was familiar, Nikolai thought, he had definitely been in the Council Head Quarters. He was unrecognisable through vision; red hair, blue eyes, a sprinkle of soft brown freckles.

“I was told to fetch this adorable little treat for your brother, Nikolai,” a snake tongue flicked out of the ginger’s mouth to lick his lips.

“Fuck off!” Roe struggled, she wrangled her stake free and jabbed it awkwardly into his thigh.

He yelped, cursed and pulled the beautifully carved weapon out before tearing it to woodchips in the matter of seconds.

“Bitch!” He spat.

“Fuck you!” Roe spat back.

“Tell Aleksander to stay away from my assistant and myself,” Nikolai took one step and had the vampire by the collar.

“She’s not your assistant, not anymore. You really pissed Aleksander off, and he needs her expertise apparently. Though I doubt a blood whore like her knows much,” The vampire cackled.

“And I would have found you a little hot, minus being a freckly freak. Fuck you! And fuck Aleksander!” She retorted.

He laughed hysterically. With the snap of his arm, Nikolai thrusted him into the alley wall, then to the opposite wall. The vampire’s ribs and arms were broken, skull fractured.