Chapter 8: The Girl Who Fell In Love With An Angel

Ellie led the way through her front door and into her rented apartment. It was small but clean and looked hardly lived in. Castiel followed her intently, quietly and with awkwardness, and then came the brothers. Dean held the bridge of his nose like a bruised child and moaned as Sam shut the door behind them.

"Come on, man. I'm sure you've faced worst," Sam exclaimed, getting annoyed by Dean's complaints of pain from just a punch to the nose.

"She's stronger than she looks!" Dean replied. This made Ellie look up and beam, she shook herself quickly to prevent herself from smiling. Castiel continued staring at the woman, forcing her to sigh.

"What?" she asked impatiently.

"Just..." Castiel stuttered, "You.." He trailed off.

Ellie gave her look off pity towards Cas, her head tilted slightly to the left. After a few seconds of silence, she also began to tighten her lips until she was biting her bottom one with her teeth in thought. I'm screwed, she was thinking. Never had she felt herself in such a dilemma. She couldn't go back to Castiel, especially now that he's an angel again. It would never work, even if she wanted to.

"So..." Dean, as always, interrupted the silence, and began wandering around Ellie's new apartment in observation. "This is where the rich hole up?" It was very similar to Ellie's old place, accept it was substantially smaller, but there was still a nice kitchen area, and a door leading to the bedroom and en suite. There wasn't many amenities filling the space; no TV, no microwave, only a small sofa that probably came with the apartment. Ellie scoffed at Dean's assumption that she was somewhat wealthy.

"Hardly." She retorted. Ellie looked about her apartment as if seeing it for the first time. She didn't care where she stayed, in all honesty. She knew she wouldn't be staying there long. "I find it easier to rent a place for a month; gives me time on cases." Ellie dumped her handbag on the floor.

"How much time do you need?" Sam shot Dean a look for his patronising remark. Dean continued to smirk in satisfaction. Ellie held an expression of pure anger, directed right at the brothers.

"Actually, I've lost lives because I'd moved out too quickly on a case I thought I'd taken care of."

This put Dean down slightly. "And...have you taken care of this one?" Dean asked, referring to her current case.

"Yes, it was just a ghost. I burned their bones and everything I could find that they once owned,"

Dean raised his eyebrows. "Wow, you're thorough,"

"I try to be,"

"So, this is the part where Cas tells us why we're all here?" Dean seemed like the only one capable of talking, albeit bluntly. Castiel couldn't hear much other than his yearning heart beating in his chest, and Sam was simply intimidated, and subconsciously a little bit scared of Ellie. After all, she did just punch his older brother to the ground. It was starting to become a regular occurrence as Ellie squinted her eyes and shot a disgusted look every time Dean said something.

It was almost like the two hunters matched each other perfectly, with counterbalancing snide comments. Before Ellie could come up with another, Castiel found his breath and spoke aloud, directly to Ellie.

"I thought we had something," The room went quiet.

Sam took a breath before exclaiming quickly; "We're just gonna, erm, wait outside," Sam could read where the conversation was going and that it was far too personal for Dean and him to listen in to. Dean could not recognise such a situation and was completely happy eavesdropping the romance; he still didn't trust Ellie, and wanted Cas to be safe. With a precise look of persuasion from Sam, Dean gave in and stepped outside, Sam closing the front door after them, leaving Castiel alone with her.