iv. lacy's kind of death

a/n: here's an update!! thank you for waiting :) it's just that my laptop is broken and we had to put it in diagnostic and the like whatever that was. fortunately, it's still working but it isn't like the one before so here i am, typing on a new laptop, which will hopefully last a few more years. 

i'm not sure if this story is getting better or getting worse -- a little bit of both, i suppose. i'll try my best to keep your interests up. thank you, thank you so much for waiting!

/unedited.

-athena

    ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ 

             One of Thanatos's many jobs was to wait

             One of Thanatos's many jobs was to wait. And by wait it meant to oversee the declining life out of someone's body; it just happened that this one required much, much attention as this man's prayers had gone too far and too deep. This man was in his late thirties, asking forgiveness, begging for another chance in life. But that was the funny part: people always seemed to ask for more deals when they had nothing else left to offer – not their lives, no, because the life they used belonged to Death, even before they were born.

It was a predicted gamble.

"I see you," the man whispered throatily, reaching out to Thanatos who was sitting next to his death bed. "Please. I'm a sinful man and I haven't done anything to redeem myself for my children."

Thanatos didn't listen for there was only one sound he intended on listening to: the tick-tock. The thump, thump of this man's heart.

The man had at least one more whole day before his end.

"My daughter . . ." He coughed. "has a mental illness – schizophrenia. And depression gets the better of her and tonight's her eighteenth birthday. Please . . let me have a chance to talk to her. I haven't been a good father to her."

It was not unheard of for dying people to see Death. In fact, it was the most common occurrence in the history of history. Doctors would say that it was a side-effect for knowing your impending death. And maybe it was, a sign of doomed life, but in reality, Thanatos just had nothing to do. He simply wanted to wait with the dying person, hear the ticking sound of life die as the moments passed by. It reminded Thanatos of what he really was – just another empty god of death, the taker of souls, the harbinger of disaster. In his own twisted way, watching someone die slowly made him feel better. At least he wouldn't be the only one to be miserable, at least these people who were dying wouldn't get another chance to re-unite themselves with their so-called redemption. They didn't deserve any of that, not when Thanatos never had the chance to have a choice.

He was created this way, solely made for destruction and somehow, that killed him. It didn't bother him before, so why was he thinking about it now?

Was it because of his previous encounter with a woman? Or become of her? Was this how Lacy, the Death of Emotions, kill? Was Thanatos losing his touch?