Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

She didn't know why last night was so awkward. It shouldn't have been. As if he heard her thoughts, the Prince looked understanding.

"I should explain. I am related to Sandro."

Elena pulled back in surprise.

"Really? I had no idea."

Liran looked far off for a moment before shifting his gaze to her.

"I once had a half sister. The result of a liaison between my father a woman in Madrezza, long before he met my mother. He was quite fond of the Castillonian tradition of 'Sunset Hour.'"

Elena raised an eyebrow.

"The...tradition you learned about last night."

His hesitation said volumes.

"I don't disapprove of the practice, but I was raised more in the Hilliri ways."

Elena nodded, understanding.

"Sandro is my nephew, four generations removed. That's why it was awkward."

Elena blinked in surprise.

"I had no idea."

"I came for business reasons, though."

He straightened up and stood his full height. Elena noted had a tendency to slouch.

"I thought it was time that you should have a new rank. Captain is no longer suitable for the work you are doing and the level of leadership and responsibility associated with it. I chose to use the title 'Commander' for now, as they do in Kalad, but once you've figured out the whole ranking system, we can discuss what we shall call you in the new order of things. This will be the next step above being 'Captain', if I'm correct?"

For a moment, Elena didn't know what to say. She was used to being overlooked. It was one of the hazards of working in a man's profession. Many years had passed back in Estallium since her superiors had acknowledged her efforts in such a manner.

"Commander comes after Captain, yes. I will endeavour to merit your confidence, my Lord." She bowed her head.

"Also, I think your next visit should be to Perramo, but I want you to bring Joran with you."

"I'm not sure that's necessary, and Joran is very busy."

Elena hated feeling dependant on others to get things done.

"I think it is." The Prince continued to talk as he walked toward the window and looked out. He turned back toward her and went on. "I'm hearing that the leaders of the towns aren't being adequately cooperative. I hope the higher rank will help. I can't change old-fashioned attitudes, but I can send Joran to ensure they listen to you. The Hilliri, especially, might simply give you a hard time for appearing to be Trillas. I want you to know that it's in their nature. It's not a reflection on your effectiveness."

In spite of his words, she couldn't help but feel that she had failed in some way.

"Very well, my Lord."

Liran walked back toward the door to leave. He turned as he stood in the open doorway and looked back at Elena.

"It should only require one accompanied visit. After that they should listen, but you must let me know if anyone still gives you trouble."

"Yes, my Lord."

Liran sighed and softened. He continued in a more gentle tone.

"You promised to call me Liran, Elena. And you mustn't expect old men to change their stubborn attitudes overnight, especially those of the Hilliri. They've had millennia to become entrenched in their point of view. They're not used to the Trillas taking the lead in such matters, especially a woman, but I know you can win them over in time, as you have convinced me."

Elena was used to men underestimating her. She was also used to surprising them. It amused her. She would enjoy doing it again. Elena tilted her head.

"I'm happy to stay here, if it doesn't feel too awkward for you." Elena preferred to be above board and honest about her life with all she dealt with. She wouldn't slink around pretending, not even for her liege lord, no matter how prudish he might seem.

Liran seemed relieved. Perhaps he liked having her company enough to accept any awkwardness.

____________________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Unsheathed. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca