Chapter 32

Kneeling on the floor and cradling her father as he was slumped on the sofa, Reese turned her head to Wayne expecting to see him wielding a gun or a knife. But his hands were empty of any armaments. His expression of surprise melded to one of smugness.

“Your father’s crazy, huh?” Wayne said.

Before Reese could open her mouth to respond, Paul piped up, the words grating. “Someone better tell me what the fuck is going on or I’m calling the police on the lot of you.” His knuckles were white from gripping the knife handle so tightly and his eyes darted from Wayne to Reese and back to Wayne.

“Don’t call the police, Paul,” Reese said.

“Why in God’s name not?” Paul looked pissed and continued to hold the knife as if he might use it. “This is beyond ridiculous.”

“Beyond ridiculous?” Wayne said incredulously. “I’m not going to press charges against Mr. Caldwell. Why would you call the police?”

“Two girls are missing,” Paul said through gritted teeth.

“Put the knife down, Paul,” Reese said. She didn’t pay attention to whether he did as she said or not. She looked up to Wayne from her position on the floor and said, “Where’s Addie, Wayne?”

Wayne narrowed his eyes to near slits. “I. Don’t. Know. Where. Addie. Is.”

“But you know where Lucy is?” She wanted so badly to let go of her father. She was in an uncomfortable stance but didn’t want to take her eyes off of Wayne. Sure enough his eye twitched ever so slightly.

Wayne said nothing. He slipped his bulking hands into the pockets of his slacks.

Reese craned her body to look full on at Paul. The coloring was surfacing in his knuckles but he continued to hold the knife as if he might need to protect himself.

“Addie was safe as of this morning, Paul. We saw her with our own eyes. Unfortunately the police won’t be able to help much with Lucy. She’s a grown woman. We can spend time with the police explaining why we think she’s in danger, but that’s time we could be using to locate both her and Addie.”

“Thus the séance?” Wayne said sarcastically, suppressing a grin.

“What about your dad, Reese? He said Wayne is going to kill you. Aren’t you just a little bit nervous about that statement? And he should probably get to a doctor.” Paul seemed to have run out of patience, but at least he lowered the knife to the patio table, although his grip on it was still firm.

Reese was relieved when she felt her father shift his weight off of her and adjusted himself to sit upright. She held onto his arm in an attempt to steady his wobbly movements. He grimaced as he touched his swollen cheek with his fingertips. He pulled his hand away from his face and looked at it. Apparently satisfied there was no gushing blood, he lowered his hand to his side.

“No doctors. I’m not leaving Reese alone.” His voice was surprisingly strong for a man who appeared so fragile.

“Dad, if you need to see a doctor …” Reese started to say, but her dad interrupted.

“No. I’m fine.” She shifted his weight some more so he didn’t rely on Reese for any support.

“Why did you attack Wayne?” Reese asked as she stood from her kneeling position and sat next to Mr. Caldwell.

Wayne moved just an inch forward and his hands slid from his pockets. Paul lifted the knife a hair from the table, not in a direct threatening gesture, but more as a reminder that he was in no mood for any nonsense. Wayne settled back into an unperturbed posture. His hands slipped back into the pockets.