Chapter Nine: The Strategy

Samus

It had been two days since Melissa died. Despite the fact that I barely knew her, it hurt to know that someone traveled such a long way to help us, then die in the midst of it.

As I was curled up under my bedroom blankets and attempted to sleep in the dark room, I heard a letter slide under my door.

I immediately got up and opened the letter. I turned the lights on and began to read.

Dear Samus,

I am personally pleased to see that at least some fighters made it through the easy first days. You being one of them, Samus, it pains me to see such an excellent character go to waste.
You might want to watch yourself, and you know why. You know that you have committed so many crimes against canon, and tried to convince others to do so. You will definitely have the most painful

I lifted my eyes from the page. I knew what word would come next.

Death.

I felt light-headed and tried to grab onto my vanity for balance, but it toppled under my weight and we both hit the ground with a thud.

I just stayed on the ground, still shocked from the letter.

There was a knock at my door. "Samus, are you okay?" Ike asked from the other side.

"Yeah, somewhat..." I replied. "Not really."

Ike opened the door and lifted the vanity off me. Luckily, my beauty products were in bags, so there wasn't a mess. He extended his arm and pulled me up. "Read this," I commanded, and handed him the letter.

I went over to my bed and sat down. I was in my pajamas; a plain white T-shirt, fuzzy blue pants, and my hair in a loose braid.

Ike read the letter silently, and his eyes grew wide with fear. I knew he was reading the last sentence. "I got one of these, too. It said I would have a punishment for fighting on your side, but nothing as drastic as this."

He plopped down on the bed, sitting a fair distance away from me. "Will you comply with their rules?" he asked.

"Never."

He smiled. "I would expect nothing less."

I stared into his sapphire eyes. His navy hair was messy, but it looked great on him. My last relationship didn't end too well, and I didn't want to get myself into another one so soon. But maybe Ike could convince me otherwise.

He caught me staring. I blushed with embarrassment. He just chuckled. "I assume you're not scared?"

"Not if I have you around."

Zelda

I was sitting on the sofa in Link's room, resting my head on his shoulder. Tears welled up in my eyes as I read the note over and over again.

Because my crimes against canon were minuscule and trivial, my punishment wasn't drastic, and neither was Link's. It was only 5 years of staying confined to this mansion, and then a painless death.

"I don't want to die," I sobbed quietly.

Link put his arm around me and rested his head on my head. "You won't, I'll always protect you," he replied.

Midna

A multitude of Prymids swarmed around. I was attempting to fight my way out of the circle, however, there was no such luck. The grand ballroom had food that I desperately needed, but it was so risky to travel in.

I thrashed my feet and flailed my arms, desperately trying to get a grip on something, anything. I heard more footsteps, and I knew my end was near. Tears cascaded down my cheeks and-

"MIDNA!"

What?

I heard the footsteps rush toward me and Prymids started falling to the ground, one by one. I felt arms around me and I was swiftly carried to the second floor east wing. I rubbed the tears from my eyes and looked up.

"Roy?" I asked, stunned.

I was set on a sofa in the old recreational room. I was still trying to slow my heart rate. Blood still pounded in my ears and my hands were shaking.

Link and Zelda walked into the room. "Midna! You're alive!" Zelda exclaimed. She ran over to me and hugged me. "I'm so glad you're not dead!"

I hugged her back. "What are you guys doing here?"

"Waiting it out. That's our strategy," Link answered. "We're trying to scout for people and clear as much of the mansion as possible."

"I'd gladly help, you guys!"

As the rest of their clan walked in, we finally found a strategy: Clear floors above us, then the first floor, then the battlefield. That will give us safe travels to Final Destination, where we'll most likely be able to fight the "final boss".

I am sooooooooooooooooooooo sorry! In April, I had an Honors Band that I was attending, so that first week I was flooded with practicing. On the Saturday, I was so exhausted from the all day Friday rehearsal that I didn't post anything on that Saturday when the real concert was. All these other week were completely me being lazy and not knowing where the story was going.

All is well now and the next update will be next Saturday!