Chapter 16 - The End

I was 8 1/2 almost due when we finally had a baby shower.

The massive belly made it hard to get around easily, so Christina and Christy were busy decorating. They had every last detail planned. All I had to do was show up. I wouldn’t be surprised if they would be waiting in my room when I step out of the shower to dress me up.

It took me a long time to get ready. I was so tired. I felt so big. Amy body constantly ached. Jon wasn’t there when I woke up. He had some business to attend to early in the morning, but promised he’d be back before the shower started.

By the time I made it downstairs I was late to my own baby shower.

There were a lot of games and competitions to win gifts from a bag. Everyone was very competitive, especially the men.

They cut up the cake and passed it out deciding that it was time to open presents.

The gifts were great. We were defiantly set on diapers and baby clothes. Everything was picture perfect, but nothing in my life’s allowed to be perfect.

A window shattered and cry filled the room. Christy held her stomach in pain and confusion. My heart dropped. When she moved her hand there was a blood stain. Christina’s cry for her sister was bloodcurdling.

Then guns went off.

The men who were complaining about being here 5 minutes ago were all returning fire. Enrique grabbed my arm and yanked me to my feet.

“Come on. You need to get out of here.”

I shook my head, “But Christy--"

“There’s nothing you can do for her.” He said coldly as he pulled me away from the group of people.

He barricaded us in my bedroom. He moved furniture to block the door from opening while I sat on the bed.

I was so scared I was crying.

Enrique went to the window and looked out. He was there for about 4 seconds before he ducked and ran away from the windows. They shattered as bullets came through. I screamed.

Then I felt my water break.

“Rique!” I cried, but he ignored me, determined to get to the window to return fire. “Rique!” I tried again with no success. “ENRIQUE!” I screamed.

“What?!” He hissed back.

“The baby’s coming.”

His face paled. “You’re not due yet!”

I nodded, “A couple more weeks!”

I felt the first contraction hit. It wasn’t bad.