Chapter 14

I was alone when I woke up the next morning. I was so hungry I felt nauseous. So I got out of bed and put on some normal clothes considering it was close to 1 in the afternoon. The house was busy when I walked downstairs. There were a few lingering gazes as I walked to the kitchen.

Christina and Christy were having a whisper argument up until they saw me coming. Christina smiled and Christy rolled her eyes. "I'm so glad you're back. You were severely missed." Christina said as I reached for a bowl.

I smiled at her and continued serving myself breakfast. Christy left when I poured the milk into the cereal.

Christina sighed. "Ignore Christy. She doesn't warm up to people very easily."

I nodded. "I get it." I shoved a big spoonful of cereal into my mouth right when Fredo walked in with Richi on his heels.

"Eat something."

Richi grabbed a bowl then started with the cereal I left out. Fredo got him a spoon since there was nothing obvious as to where they are.

Christina smiled at him. "You're cute. Why are you on Fredo's coat tails?"

Fredo huffed. "He's a Maffai, Christina. He's under constant surveillance. For all we know this could all be part of his plan."

Christina rolled her eyes and walked out of the kitchen.

"Where's Jon?" I asked after finishing my snack.

Fredo shrugged. "Probably his office."

I put my dishes in the sink then walked up to Jon's office. I knocked the let myself into the room. Jon was on the phone, looking at a pile of folders. Obviously there was a problem with one of the businesses.

I was going to back out of the room because he looked swamped, but he waved me over. So I shut and locked the office door. I unplugged the desk phone when it started ringing again. He looked slightly annoyed. I sat on his lap.

"I missed you this morning."

Jon nodded. "I'm trying to get this done so I can spend some time with you tonight." I smiled and kissed him. "If you stay here I might have no free time tonight."

"Alright." I got off him. "I'll let you off the hook for now, but I'm expecting my husband in a few hours."

He smiled and plugged the phone back in. "Deal."

Then a leggy woman in a short, short skirt walked into the room with some folders. She froze when she saw me.

"This is Michelle. She's my assistant."

I looked down at my husband. "I thought you didn't need an assistant."