The Third Task

I'm dedicating this to HeartEye121 because she is such an amazing writer and she inspired me to write my own story so thanks! 

______________________________________________________________________________

The sun shone on my face as I slowly opened my eyes. I smiled as the memories from last night ran through my head. I looked around and saw that everyone else was still asleep. I quietly walked to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I felt a sharp pain on my back; I turned around and saw a strange scar just beneath my left shoulder in the reflection of myself in the mirror.

I sighed and decided to take a shower. The warm water ran down my body making me more relaxed than before. Today was the day for the third and last task of the triwizard tournament. I put on my muggle clothes for the day and quickly went down the stairs. Harry was sitting in the middle on a couch.

I walked up to him and sat next to him.

“Hey” I said as he looked at me surprised.

“Oh Hi Jen” he said. “I didn’t hear you coming down”.

“It’s okay...so are you ready for today? I’m sure you’ll do well” I said reassuringly.

“Thanks Jen” he said smiling at me.

Before I could say anything else two redheads came running down the stairs.

“Ready?” I asked getting up from the couch.

“Yepp!” they chorused in unison.

So me, Fred and George left the common room to grab breakfast and then make it down to the third task.

“Are you guys betting again?” I asked while I gulped down some pumpkin juice.

Fred shook his head while George showed me the money they had made so far. I smiled at him impressed at the amount of money they had.

“Well I’ll bet on Harry winning” I said passing them some money.

“Why not Cedric?” George asked looking at me confused.

“Because Harry has more of a chance to win this thing...if you think about it Harry’s not even of age and he got so far already” I explained.

“Oh” is all they both said.

“Good Luck Harry!” I said before running up to Cedric. He pulled me into a tight hug and let go after 5 good minutes. I stared into his hypnotizing grey eyes as he smiled at me lovingly.

“Good Luck” I whispered as we hugged again. It was as if it was the last time I’ll ever see him.

He took out a piece of parchment from his top pocket and put it into my hand. “What’s this?” I asked I started to unfold it.

He put his hand over mine. “Read it later” he said as I smiled.

“I love you” I said as he pulled me in for a kiss. “I love you more” he shouted when I went out of the door.

I saw Fred and George standing by the rest of the students who were also cheering for Harry. They both saw me and gestured me to stand by them. I ran up to them and watched excitedly grinning like mad.

The four champions came out of their tents and stood by Dumbledore who seemed to be explaining something. After that they all stood in their positions and Cedric gave me one last smile before entering the maze.

It had been two hours since Harry and Cedric had been in that maze. Fleur Delacour and Victor Krum came out at least half an hour ago. To be honest I didn’t really care about who won. I was close with Cedric and Harry so I’d be happy for both of them.

Just then two figures appeared on the ground. It was Harry and Cedric. Harry seemed to sobbing on Cedric who was lying on the ground. Why wasn’t he moving? Soon enough Fleur Delacour screamed and people stopped cheering. The teachers ran towards Harry and Cedric looking horrified.

“He’s back! Voldemorts back!” Harry cried.

Mr Diggory ran up to Cedric looking horror struck. “That’s my boy! That’s my son!” he cried.

Now I had realised why everyone was acting like this. But it can’t be. Cedric isn’t...dead. Someone grabbed onto me as I collapsed to the floor. I felt the tears sting my eyes as I cried uncontrollably on the floor.

“Take the students inside...a student has just been killed!” Dumbledore ordered.

Then after that all could remember was hearing the panicked voices of people around me.

I woke up with a really bad headache. Tears blurred my vision as I remembered that nights incident. I realised that I was in the hospital wing and Madame Pomprey was looking at me sympathetically.

“You have a friend who has come to visit you and remember to drink this potion before you leave for the......memorial service” she told me.

“How long have I been here for?” I asked slightly confused.

“Two days” she replied and walked away.

I put my head in my hands until I heard a voice.

“Hey” said Fred Weasley who was trying his best to look cheerful. 

I tried to smile but I failed. “Hey” I said in a dull tone.

But I wasn’t in the state to talk. I just wanted to cry. I got up, hugged Fred and started to sob.

“Shh..it’s okay” he said in reassuring voice as he stroked my hair.

“No it’s not!” I said between sobs.

“I think we should leave for the memorial service” he said in a more serious tone.

I shook my head and headed for the door after drinking the tasteless potion.

As I walked through the corridor students looked at me sympathetically. I entered the Great Hall and sat at one of the front rows. The hall was quickly filled with students but everyone was silent. The Great Hall didn’t have that bright happy look anymore. It was grey, dark and sad.

Dumbledore stood up and started speaking; "Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Therefore, I feel you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered, by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I feel would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and, reminds us, that though we may come from different countries and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of the recent events, the bonds of friendship made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind, and honest, and brave, and true. Right to the very end. "

With every word my heart broke and tears silently rolled down my face. After the memorial I went staright to my dormitory. None of the other girls came in so it was an opportunity where I could let it all out.  I got out the piece of parchment that Cedric gave me before the third task.

It read;

Dear Jenny,

You’ll probably be reading this because I’m not with you anymore. The third task is always the most dangerous task and I wanted to tell you a few things just in case something happened to me. I just wanted to write this so that I could tell you that I love you. I love you so much. So if anything happens to me I just want you to move on and be happy .Please don’t cry over me. If not for yourself, then for me I would want to you to fall in love with a nice guy (Of course you’ll never find someone as handsome as me ;) )

Love Cedric xxx

After reading the letter I broke down in tears again. I held the letter close to my heart and looked at the picture of me and Cedric kissing by the lake.

“I love you” I whispered.