Four: A.K.A The Jerk

CHAPTER FOUR: A.K.A THE JERK

“Hey, B, here’s another victim.” Kara handed me a paper with written details about the victim and the target. “I talked to her earlier and she seems to be in need of your help.”

We were at the cafeteria, trying to eat lunch while the three helped me organized my KA duties and responsibilities—which I have been pushing off for a few days now. My injury prevented me from doing what I should’ve been doing, plus the chilly weather that encouraged me more to laze around.

I read the note, “Alright, I’ll drop by the target later.” I gave the note to Eli. He was helping me keep track of my target list. “Li, here’s another one.”

“Gotcha,” Eli said. “Wow, you sure are packed with requests, B. That’s slacking off for you.”

I sighed, rubbing my temples, “I know… Ugh, now I have to catch up with all of that. Or else, my victims will have to suffer more...”

“B, I have something for you too...” Amy said guiltily.

“It’s okay, doll.” I smiled at her. “I can still squeeze in one more.”

She handed me a paper, similar with Kara’s. “He’s a freshman. He came to me for help but I don’t think I was of much help to him, aside from giving him some words of wisdom.”

“It’s okay. I can take this. It’s quite simple.” I gave the paper to Eli again.

“So, you have a total of 20 C-rank targets, 5 B-ranks and 1 A-rank.” Eli summarized.

Eli came up with the ranks. He figured it’d be better to organize my targets’ level of danger. C-ranks are the least dangerous and have the simplest punishment, while B-ranks require a bit of precautions and A-ranks need extreme preparations—which I have neglected when I went after Myers—and extra hours of work. It’s a good thing A-ranks rarely come by. I have had only three A-rank encounters since I started being Karma’s Apprentice, the third being Leon Myers.

I ran my hand through my hair, feeling the pressure. “I don’t think I can finish all of that today.”

“Well, you can start with the C-ranks.” Kara suggested.

“And you can finish at least 10 today.” Amy added.

Eli clucked his tongue, “Lessons learned, KA. Stop procrastinating.”

I glared at him, “I wasn’t. It was that jerk’s fault! If I didn’t have an inju—”

“You mean, the other B-rank.” Eli cut my rant, looking at me warningly. “Yeah, definitely, it was his fault. If he didn’t do injustice, this wouldn’t have happen.” He said, trying to save my arse.

I coughed, regaining my cool. “Y-yeah, you’re right. That’s what I was trying to say.”

Kara looked at us as if we’ve grown two heads, “What’s wrong with you two? Are you hiding something from us?”

“I hope not.” Amy frowned.

“No, no. It’s nothing guys.” I assured the two, smiling sheepishly.

Eli and I decided not to tell them the incident I had with Myers. We thought it would be too dangerous for them to go against him. And I am not allowing them to be harmed by my rash actions.

“So, see you guys later. Amy and I have History together.” Kara said, standing up.

“See ya, B, Li.” Amy waved a hand at us.

I turned to Eli, “Alright, alright, you can scold me all you want. Come on, shoot.”

“Pft. You look funny, B. Look at your face.” He snickered.