One: The Reveal

CHAPTER ONE: THE REVEAL

“So, girly, who’s our target today?” Kara—my gossip hungry friend—asked, cocking an eyebrow at me.

“Hmmm...” I looked up as if to think, “Nah, I’m not telling you.”

She gave me a blank stare, “You’re a bitch, Blaire Williams.”

I chuckled, “Oh you know what they say, Karma’s a bitch and so, I think, is its Apprentice.”

Kara rolled her eyes, “Yeah, yeah, so much for being Karma’s Apprentice.”

“Hush, Kar. People might hear you. I’m dead if they find out!” I whispered a yell at her.

“Hello, ladies! What’s the chatter about?” Eli—my snob but fun to be with friend—joined in, taking a seat beside me.

“Well, KA here won’t spit out who’s her next target.” Kara complained.

Eli nudged me on the side, “Tell us, please?”

I sighed, “Guys, this one’s a bit of a danger. I don’t want to pull you in. Please understand?” Now I’m the one begging them.

“Ugh!” Kara threw her hands up in the air, “Are you kidding me? That just made me more curious.”

“She’s right.” agreed Eli.

“Well, curious or not. I’m not telling you anything.” I said with much resolve.

They both scowled and started sipping their drinks violently.

“Hey, guys! Sorry, I’m late. Works are getting tougher these days.” Amy—my friend who is the vice president of the student council—sighed, seating beside Kara.

“Why? What did you do today?” I asked Amy.

“As you know, Halloween’s coming up and we have been bombarded with suggestions regarding the activity this year. There’s just so many I think we’ll have to work overnight!”

You see, my school loves to hold fun and exciting activities during the national holidays—which include Valentine’s, Halloween and Christmas. That’s the main reason why I decided to study here. Who doesn’t love fun activities?

“What? Are they paying you or something?” Eli raised an eyebrow at Amy.

“Actually, they don’t. It’s for merits, Li. The more the merits I get, the better the college I’ll get into.” Amy replied quite proudly.

Kara shook her head in disapproval, “Amy, my dear, you’re wasting your wit and intelligence in this school. I’m sure by college your brain’s all drained. What’s the use of getting into a prestigious university, by then?”

Amy gasped, “Oh no! You’re right!” Horror filled her eyes as she takes in what Kara just said. You know, I sometimes doubt if she’s really smart. She believes in what people say too easily.

“That’s not necessarily true, Kar. Don’t scare her.” I eyed Kara warningly.“She’s not wasting anything here, really. By being a part of the student council, Amy is learning extra knowledge other students doesn’t have the privilege to. And she can use that knowledge later on as she studies in college or even when she’s already working.” Wow, I sounded so logical. I should think like that more often.

Kara scoffed, “Alright, smarty pants. You win.”

Eli just laughed and patted Amy on the back.

“Thanks, B.” Amy smiled genuinely at me.

I winked at her, “No problem, baby doll,” That is my nickname for her. Amy is Asian, with a youthful complexion, petite body and doll-like features. I’m sure you’ll call her that too when you see her.

Come to think of it, all four of us have totally contradicting personalities. I’m surprised we still manage to get along.

Kara is a redhead and the stereotype is undoubtedly applicable to her—she’s extremely short-tempered. She is the easy-going type, have lots of friends, loves to gossip and is always updated with the latest news and rumours. Eli, on the other hand, is a geek at heart but a typical badass bad boy in appearance. He’s not sporting any piercings and tattoos, though. He’s just aloof and an expert in snubbing “uninteresting” people, as he may put it, and so others are always afraid to approach him. He has only a handful of friends, which include us, and a few more others—as he like to be alone most of the time. It’s hard to earn Eli’s trust but once you get it, you’ll find how worthy it is.

“So, what were you guys talking about?” Amy asked, snapping me out of my trance.

Kara scoffed, “Oh, don’t get me started with it.”

“Actually, they’ve been forcing me to tell them who’s KA’s next target.” I told Amy.

“You won’t tell us?” Amy asked, hinting confusion.

“Well... I’m kind of worried you’ll hate me for it...” I said nervously, my strong resolve slowly crumbling to pieces.

Kara groaned in exasperation, “Cut the crap, B. You’re wrecking my nerves will all these suspense!” Yep, there’s no mistaking her redhead temperament.

Eli and Amy waited in anticipation. Looking at the three eager listeners, I knew I had no other choice.

“Leon Myers,” I finally said.

“WHAT?!” Kara and Amy chorused.

I let out a heavy breath, “See? That’s why I didn’t want to tell you! His fan girls, which include you, would peel me alive! And if you happen to take my side, you’ll be pulled in.”

“But why is it him, B? You know why he’s gotten overly popular in just a few weeks. Everyone loves him! He’s a gentleman and a nice person—almost angelic, in fact. What did he do?” Amy asked.

“Well...” I hesitated.

“Blaire...?” Kara urged me to continue in a threatening tone.

“The request was from a VIP victim.”

Amy raised an eyebrow at me, “This is the first time I’ve heard of a VIP victim. What made her a VIP?”

“She paid higher than the minimum charge—almost triple, actually...” I fidgeted with my hands, knowing exactly what would come next.

Kara crossed her arms over her chest, “Money, huh? That certainly explains it all.”

Eli glared at Kara and slapped the table so fiercely I was surprised it was still in one piece. “Don’t judge her Kara. She’s got a deeper reason than that.”

“Shh, guys. People are looking at us.” I warned them as I noticed the people in the cafeteria take in our conversation.

“Oh, yeah? Tell me, Eli. What is it?” Kara challenged.

Amy grabbed Kara’s hand, “Kar, don’t. You know he’s right.”

Eli scoffed, “Of course she doesn’t, Am. She’s too stu-,”

“Stop!” I shouted at them. I didn’t care anymore if people were listening in our conversation; the situation was getting out of hand. “Eli, I should thank you for protecting me. It’s nice to know that someone knows me so well. Kara, if you know me enough, you should know that I am not that low. Amy thanks for understanding. Now, you two,” I looked at Eli and Kara pointedly. I leaned forward to whisper, “You are not talking to me until you fully think things through and decide to understand each other better. Leon Myers is my next target and that’s final.”

A/N:

Lots of hugs for you who have read this. Just know that you are awesome. ;) I’m sorry if this chapter was kinda short and a bit uneventful. But I promise, you’ll see some actions real soon. :)