That was until I remembered Bonnie's offer and that she'd told me she was still waiting on that phone call. I guess now was probably the best time do that, since me and that wanker was on a break and I needed a little bit of distracting.

                                                                      *

    It took me another thirty-odd minutes to decide whether or not I wanted to meet up with Bonnie, but eventually I sent the text and now here we were, wandering through the streets with hot chocolates in hand. We'd spent the past hour in a cafe sharing chips but now we were heading down towards a local park, where we could sit at a bench and finish our drinks.

    We didn't talk for a few moments and it was a little awkward, if I was honest. I took a sip of my hot chocolate, letting my eyes wander around the park, from the tall trees that towered around the outline, to the wide space of grass that we were facing.

    “So how come you were so bored you had no other option than to call me?” Her words were playful, but obviously fishing for some sort of reassurance that I wanted to be here with her.

    I almost replied with my boyfriend's being a little shit, but managed to stop myself and in turn said, “Trust me, you weren't a last resort, Bonnie.” I smiled at her through the lie, tossing my empty hot chocolate cup in the bin beside me. “I would have called you sooner, but I've been a little busy.”

    She smiled, looking down at her hands which were entwined around her cup, thumbs gently moving over the polystyrene. “I'm glad you called. We should do this again sometime.”

    “Oh yeah, definitely.” I was surprised at how well I managed to fake my enthusiasm at the idea. She was a great girl, sure, but she wasn't...I thought long and hard about this, but the truth is, she wasn't Lee. And that's all that mattered, really. This would have been a thousand times better if I was with Lee.

    Bonnie nudged my thigh with her knee. I looked over at her to find a small smile playing about her lips. The beanie she was wearing made her face look small and thin, and matched the colour of her eyes that looked mahogany in the orange glow of the street lights. She was all snuggled up in her long winter coat that tied at the waist. It all made her look very delicate, which was misleading because delicate was something she most definitely wasn't.

    “I should probably get home,” she said quietly. “Walk me back?” I nodded, standing up and offering her my hand to help her to her feet. She was wearing very tall heels, and throughout tonight she'd been a little wobbly and unsteady on her feet. She took the opportunity to link her arm through mine to use me for support as she walked.

    I didn't really mind, although it was obviously a hint that this meet up meant a little more to her than it did to me. She huddled up against my side as we slowly walked back to her house. We talked back and forth about school and the future, a bit of banter went on until we reached her house, and then her hand slid down my arm to link with my fingers as she pulled away.

    “Thank you for tonight, I had a really great time.” She smiled and I returned it. I didn't really see what was so great about it. All we did was talk and eat chips.

    She crowded in close again and leaned in to give me a gentle, chaste kiss on the lips. I'd closed my eyes as she did, and when I reopened them I was greeted with a very prominent blush glowing on each of Bonnie's cheeks.

    I probably shouldn't have given her so many compliments tonight or something. Shit, who was I kidding? I came out with the intention of flirting in the effort to try and get Lee out of my head and figure out what the fuck I really wanted. It didn't seem to be Bonnie. I felt bad for saying that after what just happened.