Control

*Warning*
It's like half edited opps

I arrived home that night to an empty house and a letter left for me on the island in the kitchen with a twenty attached. 

   Sorry I'll be late at the hospital, pizzas on me. 
                  -Mom (xoxo)

It wasn't unusual for my mom to be held up with her work. Being a single parent with a single income she tried to take in as much money as she could get and that meant clocking in as much hours possible at "Westville Memorial Hospital" where she worked as a nurse. 

My dad left when I was ten, it was a long story really. But ever since he left me and my mom had been struggling to make ends meet. It was really hard the first year, my mom was an absolute mess. I remembered waking up in the middle of the night countless times to the sounds of her sobs. I remember leaving the house for school with her on the couch and coming home to find her in the same position. She had been broken. The man left, alone in the night while we were sleeping, carrying only his clothes and a few pictures. Leaving behind only his wedding ring on the island counter so my mom was able to get the message. He left and she was broken, leaving me to pick up the pieces. 

But we survived, we made it through the hurricane and finally found the sun or rainbow or whatever that Katy Perry song lyric is. We still weren't perfect, but then again who really was? What mattered was that my mom and I were okay again. 

After making the call for pizza I headed upstairs to my room to start my homework. However as I opened my laptop to Facebook I immediately noticed a message from Brenden Thomas pop up. 

Brenden: First game of the season is next Friday. You're coming right?"

Rolling my eyes at his need for clarification I typed back a response. 

Um yes? Make sure you give me your second jersey though before you go on. Got to keep up with tradition!  

Every player gets two jerseys, the one they wear at practices and the other at games. It was an ongoing tradition that the girlfriend of the players wore their second jerseys at every game. Now Brenden and I weren't dating - but we were best friends. Adrianna wore Sam's, Phoebe usually wore Anthony's - her cousin, and so I wore Brenden's. 

With my computer already open and warmed up, I decided to procrastinate even further and typed in the URL for the school website. Every student at Westville Day had a profile on the website, it was like our own little social media platform. The school administration had created it to keep track of the students and the schools population count. If you moved away your profile was deleted and if you were new the administration creates one for you - whether you want one or not. It was also a way for the students to get to know the newbies and make them feel welcomed.

 Although that wasn't exactly what I was planning to do. I just wanted to find out the name of a certain rude human that was the cause of my now bruised buttox. 

After searching around the website for a few minutes, navigating and such. I finally found the new kid page. There were a series of pictures displayed with their names written underneath and after scrolling for a few minutes I finally zeroed in on a familiar pair of cerulean blue eyes that rang an all to familiar bell in my ear. 

Ashton Todd Collins. 

Of course he would have a name like that.