Chapter 1: The Return

Start from the beginning

"Why, what's wrong?" I looked down at myself with similar confusion, trying so hard not to laugh.

"Umm, n-nothing...no it must just be me, it doesn't matter" he seemed to shake his head, probably thinking: 'I'd know if it was Katherine, she wouldn't show up now...'

"Okay, well do you mind if I take Matt outside for a minute? Caroline wanted me to have a private word with him" I explained.

"No, it's fine. I'll just wait here for Caroline" he nodded slightly.

"Thanks, Stefan" I gave him a smile and rushed Matt outside, pulling him down the sidestreet I dropped my bag on the floor and began playing a song loudly on my phone before allowing laughter to leave my mouth freely.

"Are you okay, Elena? What's so funny" Matt asked in confusion, I hoped the loud music would block out everything else I was about to say from vampire ears.

"I'm not Elena, Matty-blue blue!" my laughter died down as I spoke.

"But then...Wait, only one person calls me Matty-blue blue" realization sparked his eyes.

"Do you remember me, Matty? Your best friend forever and ever" I smirked and pulled my hair up, turning and showing him the back of my neck.

"The birthmark" his voice rose in happiness.

"One of the only things to tell me and Elena apart, feature wise if I'm in the mood to be her" I laughed slightly and faced him again, releasing my hair.

"It feels like forever" he smiled and pulled me into a hug, I returned it.

"Only 10 months Matty, calm down" I pulled away with a matching smile.

"How was the Photography course? Did it help you deal with...?" he trailed off.

Photography course?...Oh Yeah! That's what they all think I've been doing. "It was great, I got to travel so much and it did help, it helped a lot after they died."

"I never really thought it was a good idea to leave, just a few weeks after it had happened. And I'm so sorry for not being supportiv--" I cut Matt off.

"It never mattered, I had fun and now I'm back to be with all of my friends and family. Everything back to normal...Except for the part where you're dating one of my best friends?" I raised a brow.

"About that-" I cut him off again.

"It's fine, I won't give you a big speech. But you better be dating that amazing blonde for all the right reasons, and not just as a rebound because of my silly sister who dumped the best guy ever" he just nodded. "I'm gonna go home and wait, no-one knows I'm back yet. Could you do me a huge favor?" I picked my bag up.

"Anything" he replied in an instant.

"When you go back in there, Stefan is probaby going to ask you who you were talking to seeing as Elena is still in there. All I want is for you to forget this whole conversation. Act like it was wiped from your memory, make up a story for why you came outside, but I was never here, okay?" I explained.

"Why?" he frowned.

"I'd prefer my sister and me to have a better reunion, then me pretending to be her. We all know how dramatic Elena can be" I smiled and he returned it.

"Then you got it" he agreed with my plan. Obviously, I always was his favorite. I turned the music off and slipped my phone back into my jacket pocket, excited to lie in my own bed tonight.

"Thank you Matt" I pulled him into another hug and slipped a small vervain flower into his pocket, can't have them compelling the truth out of him can I? "I owe you one" I whispered into his ear before releasing him from the hug and walking home, the odd street lamp being my guide.