VII.

~

Pete and I were singing together to the radio's music as we drove down the New York road, away from the city. We were going up to Maine for two days at least.

Nothing had really happened since our... Whatever it was, on the night of Pete's birthday. I didn't like Pete like that. He was my friend, my friend.

Pete had never really told me his sexuality, and we never really brought the subject up. I was pretty sure I was straight. I'd entertained the thought of being gay back when I was in seventh grade, but then I started dating a girl for a while, and I knew I liked girls. Boys... I wasn't so sure and I didn't want to label myself.

The music finally wound down, and Pete changed the station to a guy called Patrick Stump with a song, Allie

"Cause Allie I was so good back thennnnn," Pete sang terribly. "Now I wonder if I'd be so good if I saw you againnnn?.."

"You actually know this guy?" I raised an eyebrow at him. I'd never heard of this guy before in my life. Pete looked at me, almost offended.

"Patrick Stump? Of course I know him. Not personally, but I know his music. Now there's a dude I'd go gay for," Pete sighed, dreamily.

Ahem, As I was saying... Pete never brought up his sexuality... before now.

I raised an eyebrow at him as he continued on driving. We'd gotten out of the city and into a pretty rural area so I was happy to just prop my feet on the dashboard and listen to Patrick Stump who actually wasn't half bad.

-

We'd been driving for a while until Pete stopped to get gas and I ran inside to grab us some refreshments.

Pete was complaining about not having any chips, so I grabbed three bags of Barbecue Ruffles (because they were on sale if you bought three.) I paid the guy, quickly, because he actually looked kinda seedy and I didn't want to hang around him longer than I had to, before racing outside to rejoin Pete.

"Storm!" He beamed at me and looked down at his phone where he had 'things to do in Maine' pulled up.

"There's a really pretty forest about an hour away, but it's on the way to the hotel. Did you want to go take a walk through there or something?"

"Sure," I shrugged. A walk didn't sound too bad. I'd been cooped up in the car for so long and a stretch would be really nice. "You don't think it'll get too dark?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at the setting September sun.

"We'll be fine," Pete grinned. "Walks at twilight are honestly romantic."

I froze at that. What did that mean? Romantic? No, he didn't like me like that. Mikey you stupid head. Your friend invites you on a long trip across the fucking country, makes a reservation at a fancy Italian restaurant, and wants to take you to on a 'romantic walk' through the park? Oh, God.

"Storm?" Pete's smile had slipped a little as he tried to my attention. "I didn't mean romantic like that. I just meant that they're just really pretty and I like long walks..." He trailed off, dropping his gaze a little. "Forget it, we can just go to the hotel." He got into the truck without another word and I went around the other side, setting the chips down in the cup holder separating our two seats.

Pete was silent as we kept driving. He didn't seem mad... At least to me. He seemed like he was just deep in thought.

"Pete? You're not mad at me, are you?" I asked after a while, just to be sure.

"I'm not mad, Storm. I just didn't want to make things awkward between us," he shrugged, staring straight at the horizon that the sun was sinking quickly into. "You're right. It is getting pretty late, I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I shook my hand, waving his apologies off. "We can go do it early tomorrow if you want?" I tried to redeem myself.

"Yeah, sure. Sounds good," Pete smiled at me but I could see right through it.

I was about to say something but Pete reached over and turned the radio back on before I could.

So, Patrick Stump, who was back on the radio again, this time with a song called Coast. I was glad that a popular 'soul punk' singer could soothe our awkwardness.

I didn't remember falling asleep, but apparently I did. When I woke up, I was in a hotel bed, but with my clothes still on and everything. The light was shining from the lamp and I looked over at Pete who was sitting up in bed, writing.

"What are you writing?" I asked, making him jump. He looked over at me and slammed the notebook quickly.

"Just stuff about the trip," he shrugged. "You fell asleep on me, Storm," he added after a while. "I carried you here... You looked too peaceful to wake up," he added.

"You carried me through the lobby while I was sleeping?" I raised an eyebrow and chuckled at the thought.

"I could've left you there," Pete replied after a moment's pause. "Nobody thought it was weird."

"Thank you," I bit my lip, feeling a little guilty.

"Yeah, no problem," Pete turned back around. "I'm going to bed. Good night, Storm."

"Oh, goodnight," I replied, after a second, a little upset.

Had that really upset Pete that much? Jesus, Mikey, you ruin everything, don't you? I said we could go tomorrow...

I laid there for a while thinking over things. Did Pete really have a crush on me? Did I have a crush on Pete? Probably no, and definitely no.

Eventually, I fell asleep.

Dreams swirled through my mind, usually of random things that meant nothing. I didn't know if I was happy or confused or upset that Pete didn't show up at all through my dreams.

-

Thanks to my boyfriend who inspired this chapter :3.

Love ya