I.

Started: March 15, 2016
Finished: -

~

They say he was a free spirit. He drifted where ever the wind took him and didn't resist. That's why I wasn't really that surprised when I was jerked out of a comfortable sleep at 5 a.m. from a phone call from him.

"Wanna go on a road trip with me?"

Sunshine City was a place only talked about in wives tales, and only seen in dreams. Every kid longed to go there, for it was a place to be free. Places for people exactly like Pete Wentz. Pete was wild, even when he was child.

Daring and adventurous, he was every boy's role model. Unfortunately, other boy's mothers did not see him in the same way and named him a bad influence. Pete didn't care. He didn't care what anybody thought about him. He was stuck in his own utopian world. In his head. Nothing fazed him, and he took everything as a challenge. No one told Pete Wentz what to do, and no one told Pete Wentz what not to do. The only person who decided that was Pete Wentz, himself.

"Pete?" I reached for my glasses, sitting on my bedside table. "It's five in the morning. What are you talking about?"

"Come on, Storm. We're going on a road trip. Just you and me. Across America. It'll be great!"

Pete had named me Storm as a representation of my personality. I got angry fairly easily, and he always thought it was hilarious. He knew I hated the nickname, and yet he persisted on using it.

Eventually, the nickname stuck, and he called any time he got, completely refusing to use my given name, Mikey. Fortunately, I'd gotten use to the unwanted nickname, and just accepted it as a part of me. I was Storm.

"Come on, Storm. We're going to go and find Sunshine City, together. We're getting out Jersey, and I'm going to take you on the journey of your life."

I let out a small snort at Pete's foolishness. He knew very well that Sunshine City was not real. No map on the planet included a city called Sunshine City, and no city would ever have that name. Pete lived in his own world though. His voice echoed in my mind, and I could hear it almost as clearly as if he was in my room, standing right next to me.

"Come on, Storm. Every time I close my eyes, I can see that clear, sparkling paradise. Where there's sun sparkling everywhere. Warm sunny skies, and nights to just stare at the sky. The stars are so clear and beautiful. That you're able to just reach up and wow, you've grabbed yourself a star, Storm."

I had to admit that his mind sounded pretty amazing and I'd do anything to have an imagination like his. He loved to tell me about his fantasies. He loved when I asked questions. His eyes would light up, and I could almost see the stars he blushed to me about. His eyes had the stars in them, and they were stunningly beautiful.

"Why does the sun set, Storm? Well because... why not? The darkness is a time to appreciate the light we once had. You might want to yearn for it again. The darkness makes us feel vulnerable and insecure. We have a fear of the unknown, and the darkness only brings out the worst in us. The sun sets so we can long for the light that made us feel so safe and comfortable."

"Pete, Sunshine City isn't real," I sighed. "It never was real, it never will be real," I added, turning on the lamp on the bedside table next to me. I quickly scanned the room, checking for anything out of the ordinary. It was just my paranoia kicking in.

"You don't sound so sure, Storm. Are you sure of yourself? I don't think you are. I, on the other hand, am absolutely sure that it's real... and you and I are going to find it. Are you in, Stormy? Do you trust me?"

Pete was a wild card. I had no idea what he was going to say next and I was honestly prepared to listen to him for ages. Was I ready for a big commitment? Traveling the U.S., looking for a place I knew didn't exist? Of course I was.

"Yes, I am," I smiled, even though he couldn't see me.

"Oh," his voice got softer, and I could almost hear his smiling. "Storm, that's great! You truly are my best friend. We're going to have the biggest adventure ever. Trust me you're going to love it there. The mildew tickling your feet as you step on the grass. The day and night are both so pretty. Fields that stretch for miles and miles..."

I lay back in my bed, and let Pete's soothing voice just control me for a few minutes. Pete had a powerful voice, and it lulled me to sleep, easily. His perfect ideas swirled in with his astonishing voice were the perfect recipe for whatever story he was ready to tell that night. Whether the story was about the raindrops that fell, or a cat who tried to find out his place in the world... He managed to bring something new, and something I'd never seen before to every tale. His favorite stories were about his ideas or perfect worlds. His favorite thing to tell me about was his beloved City of the Sun.

He often told me I was the only one willing enough, and cunning enough to hear his tales. Of course I was flattered. To be worshipped by a mad-man. A boy who who wasn't in a hurry to grow up. Actually, Pete was scared of growing up. It was his worst fear, even though he often boasted of not being scared of anything. He was scared of losing himself. If he lost his beliefs and creativity, he believed he would lose himself. That was the scariest thing he could think of.

He was stuck in his own world. No one told him to grow up, and he hadn't decided it was time for himself to grow up yet. And no one tells Pete Wentz what to do.

-

I'm so excited to share this with all of you. I really don't know how long it will take me to write this, and it will most definitely have slower updates than some of my previous books because I truly intend on pouring my heart out into this book.

I love you all very much.

Feel free to vote, comment, share! :)