Favorite Books, Secret Meanings

Start from the beginning

Quickly, as the pain spikes and I let out a sharp scream of pain, I squeeze the injector, pushing the liquid into my bloodstream. Right when I feel the injector empty, I pull it out, and throw it across the room, making it smash on the other side of the wall.

I fall to my knees and clench my eye, the blood leaked onto the floor. It hurt it hurt it hurt it hurt it hurt!

I feel tears welling up in my eyes, but it only makes it sting more. The speaker turns on once more.

"Well done. We will now give you an empty syringe to draw your blood into in about ten minutes, please prepare."

I grit my teeth and stare up at the window. I'll kill them. I'll kill them all.

Levin POV

I woke up this morning slowly. It was one of the very few nights that I had a good night's sleep. I showered, got dressed, ate some breakfast and started to work like normal.

Every time someone passed me, they'd wave and put on a smile. Touka would yell at me and Ayato for slacking when cleaning the tables, and Kaneki had started to teach me more again during our breaks, just like back then.

When I had asked him to start teaching me again, he seems delighted, he even let a very Sasaki-like pun slip out.

Now done with work, I'm reading in the lounge downstairs below Re. Everyone from Nest lives down here, but it's so cramped compared to my room and Nashiro's. They had told Touka that they wanted us to have the rooms upstairs.

The families of Nest were still here, I was still here... everything seemed almost like back then. Except... two people were now missing.

When I think back on it, I never once cried when Vincent died, I was more shocked. Shocked that even though I was trying to keep them alive, it had the opposite effect because I wasn't there.

The Bird Keeper is gone, and now I'm just a Crow without a Nest. I can't just keep living like this. Sooner or later Eto will come after me, she will want to settle things.

I hear something at the door, a small knock. I look up to see Rize, giving me a small smile. "Mind if I bother you with some talk?" She asked.

I shake my head. "Not at all. What is it?"

I was quite eager to get the atmosphere out of my head. No one was in the lounge at the moment, since the day was winding down and coming to an end after a hard day of work.

She walked in as I said this and plopped down next to me, leaning over and looking at the book I was reading.

"I know this one! Didn't Eto write this? The Black Goats Egg? I remember reading this." She said with interest and looked at the part I was at.

"Your at a really good part also." She said, reminiscent of the time she spent reading it however long ago.

I put the book mark in place and close the book. "I can stop for now. Kaneki told me it was a nice piece, so I thought I'd give it a try." I said.

She raises an eye brow. "And...? Do you like it so far?" She asked.

I look down at the cover of the book. "I suppose... but I still think my favorite it The Tempest."

"Your a sucker for old books, huh?" She said with a questionable look.

"I just have liked it for a long time now." I said.

She smiled at me. "And whys that?"

I scratch my cheek a bit with a bashful expression. "Well... no matter how much despair and sadness goes through the characters, they still get a happy ending." I exclaimed.