First Time

Today was fairly boring. Except one part. Meeting Lily. My new friend.

There's a girl who lives next door, I'd seen her before but never ventured into a conversation. She knocked on the door around 4 p.m. to invite me over to tea.

Mother said I was too busy. But of course I wasn't. Father had been home all day and I was tired of hearing the two screaming at the top of their lungs and mother casting a silencing spell to shut him up. And then it got physical with him whipping her with his belt.

She didn't even make food anymore. Most nights I sustained on McVities and some milk. Goodness knows what they ate.

Sidetracked. Sorry. So she invited me and mother said no. But before she could slam door the shut, I ran out from the broom cupboard and shouted "Ma, I've finshed it!"

She stared at me intently, waiting for an explanation. Not wanting to face her again, I turned around to the girl and said
"Hello. How can I help you?"
She looked awkward for a second but then quickly regained her composure and said " Hi! Would you join me and my sister for tea?"

" I'd be pleased to" I said with an enthusiastic grin. Anywhere would be better than that horrid place I was ashamed to call Home.

As I started out, Ma called from behind and with a stern look on her face said
"You have 2 hours, mister. Two." And with that she banged the door shut.

Before we even reached her house, the next door one, we heard a bang and then saw the rusty pans and old kettles being thrown out of the kitchen window. Not without a hundred curses, mind you.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the house was the Home. It wasn't a building of bricks and cement. It had an aura of love and care.

Her mother came in wearing an apron that had WORLD'S BEST MOTHER stitched on to it. She was wearing a smile and had cookies on a tray in her hand. I tried to imagine Ma with a smile and cookies that she'd baked on her own. I give out a snort, very ungentleman like.

He's mother looked at me with an amused smile.
"What is it, laddie?" She enquired.

"Nothing ma'am, " I replied "I am not used to seeing anyone offer me cookies. Might sound stupid, but it isn't. "