A Kiss with a Fist

A Kiss with a Fist
                                                                Prologue

Lotte was only eleven when the titans attacked. She was always a small, dirty girl, with her hair tied high behind her head, and even then the milk chocolate strands reached just between the middle of her shoulders. Her mother, who often wore an apron with flour splattered on her face, would watch her dirt-caked child through the little window that overlooked their modest yard; Lotte digging through the dirt and occasionally jumping as if she were a frog.

Most girls her age had long since outgrown their tomboy phases, and had now begun to fawn over the pretty little dresses their mothers’ had made with bows to match. Lotte, however, was more interested in the cycle of the butterfly or how many minnows she could catch in just under an hour. That day, it had only been three.

She couldn’t say she remembered that day well. But, as she waded her sun kissed hands through the water, watching as the dirt floated away as smoke through the air, she thought she could almost feel the disturbance in the air as the panic arose. Lotte didn‘t live inside Wall Maria; she didn’t know the terrors of the Titans. She never saw the looks on their faces as loved ones were eaten. She didn’t know the fear. Little Lotte did know, however, the sadness that clutched at her chest as the baby bluebird from its nest in the tree, breaking its wing.

Lotte had been careful as she cradled the small animal to her chest. She knew enough about birds to know she shouldn’t have touch it, for her scent would have overtaken the mother’s. But, she couldn’t just leave it. The tiny thing was defenseless, much like herself. Lotte was terrified for the baby bird, and wanted to protect it. Without its wing, there was no way the bird would have survived very long. She didn’t want it to get eaten by something bigger.

Her mother, however, didn’t much feel the same.

“But, mommy!” The small girl argued, delicately thrusting the broken thing up to her mother, careful not to jostle it too much. “Look at it! It’ll die if we don’t help it!”

The older woman shook her head, brushing back strands of her own brown hair. They didn’t much look alike, Lotte and her mother, aside from the brown hair. But, there was no denying that Lotte was her daughter. Both were equally as stubborn. Lotte, however, had always been a bit more patient than her mother.

“Fine!” She let out an exasperated sigh. “Bring him to Aide. If he’s not too busy fooling around with those drunkard bastards, maybe you could get him to help you out.”

Eline turned her back then, returning to her baking. It’s what she did. Despite her love for the dough against her fingers as she kneaded it, Eline baked for a living. She enjoyed it. She did not enjoy, however, her eldest son hanging out with the Military Police.

Few things made Eline angry. The Military Police trumped those things.

Lotte, however, thought their drunken slurs, dishonest quirks and stumbles to be amusing as they hiccupped their way through sentences, slurring their words together. She didn’t see the harm, really. Not all of them were that bad, honest. They were people—people just like Lotte, Aide, and their Mama. Lotte was only eleven, naïve, and didn’t know much of anything. She did know, however, that Eline often worried for nothing.

She didn’t much think of that though and instead, hummed. Lotte was looking for her other brother, who had to be about fifteen, now. He was graduating, soon, and had worked very hard so that he’d be able to join the Military Police. Although, admittedly, neither thought he’d make it.

Lotte always wondered if you could quit that sort of thing. Like, if you didn’t like your end results. She knew if something she did was ever unsatisfactory, she probably wouldn’t continue with the disappointment. But, Aide wasn’t like her.

“Hey!” Lotte jumped, almost dropping the little bird she held. “What’re you humming for, huh?”

The young boy looked up to a boy, who was around her age. He was funny looking, she thought. His eyes were brown, much like hers, but were more of a yellowish color. She couldn’t tell if his hair was blonde or brown—but, it did look silly with his undercut.

“You look funny,” she stated, disregarding his question. She didn’t miss the way that his hands clenched at his sides, or the way his teeth were bared. “I’m Lotte!” She smiled.

“I don’t care about your damn name!” The boy hissed. “I asked you a question!”

She shrugged.

“Don’t you know what’s happening?” His eyes narrowed as he stepped forward. “Titans have broken through Wall Maria. People are dying. And, we could be next, y’know? But, you’re worrying about that bird.”

“He’s hurt,” she said.

“Titans don’t eat animals.”

“No, but other animals do.”

The boy frowned, leaning back a bit. “You’re worrying about the wrong things.”

They were both kids, taught of Titans at such a young age, taught to fear them. But, neither had actually seen one. And, even if unmentionable things had happened to people just outside Wall Rose, neither really thought of what happened actually to those people. They didn’t think of what would happen to those who were left; they didn’t think about what could happen to them.

“What’s your name?”

The boy’s golden eyes bored into her. “Jean—but what’s it to ya?”

Again, Lotte shrugged. “While I’m gone, try not to get eaten, okay?” She was only teasing, but it still made him uncomfortable. “I’ll be back later.”

Jean didn’t get the chance to tell Lotte he didn’t care to see her later. But, he still never forgave her for not coming back.

!*~*~*~*~*~*!

Oh my. I’m a terrible person oh my. I didn’t mean to start an snk fan fiction oh my it slipped.
This year I’m trying really hard to keep up my grades! So, I’ll upload when I can, I swear. I just really like Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan [and I lied I’m obsessed]), so this sort of happened. Again, I’m sorry. I don’t know why I started it like this I don’t. But, here it is. Enjoy.