Ch. 4: Operation Date Night at Levi's! (editing)

Start from the beginning

    "I'm just putting that out there. Well if you need me I'll-"

    "Be in your office," I finished for him, reaching over and picking up the paperwork with a scowl. "Sorry to interrupt sir, but I knew you would say that."

    "Perfectly alright. I'm not mad at you at all." He walked towards the door, opening it and turning back to face me. "Anyways, who could get mad at such an amazing woman?"

    He left, the door making the familiar thud. I didn't even have time to reply back to him. However, I was speechless; Mr. Smith had never said anything like that to me.

    I snapped out of my trance, telling myself there was work to get done. Playing with a curl of my auburn hair, I flipped through the paperwork to find the main documents I required.

    To be honest, I think everything would be much better if I could share my office with Phil. It was big enough for the both of us! But Mr. Smith said no, even after the many times I tried pleading with him. He would always grumble something under his breath, though I never knew what it was about.

    I started typing in numbers on the calculator. Expenses from this month total . . . Add that to last months . . . Figure out what's exactly costing us the most . . . Who is making these purchases . . . I groaned softly. "People can't just spend money willy-nilly. Does it look like we have tons of it to blow? No, sir. Not when Mr. Smith is planning all these parties. Why am I complaining out loud, it's not like anyone is listening to me rant."

    I scribbled down every new total, spending the next few hours with my last friend. Math. Sounds sad, but who else would be able to save me from workplace stress? No Mira, no Phil. Levi would have been nice, but he was probably off somewhere else.

    My phone vibrated on my desk, reading, "New Message." I unlocked it to find a text from Mira. Joy to me.

    "Hey girl! Yo, I'm so sorry I didn't come in today, I got sick! Connie came over earlier to make me feel better. He even brought me food! I thought he'd be a one night stand but no, look, he's here with me!"

    She sent a photo of her kissing his cheek. I smiled faintly, relieved to know she was being taken care of. She would be back the next day, new updates on how the rest of their time went.

    The more I stared at the picture, the more adorable I found them. He looked so overjoyed to be with her, and Mira deserved a guy to treat her like his queen. Judging from past experiences, she should greatly consider keeping him for a long time.

    I pushed through the last hours of my workday, keeping a smile on my face the whole time. Mira was a bothersome woman, but it was the little things about her that motivated me.

    Shuffling the papers together, I made a small pile of completed work and the small amount that I had to do the next morning. I packed up, grabbed my things, turned the lights off and made my way up to the third floor.

    Levi had said his office was the second one on the right. There weren't as many rooms as I had imagined, in fact, the third floor looked smaller than any other in the building. Maybe it was just the lawyers who occupied the third floor, while everyone else was stuck on the first and second floors.

    I was amazed by it all, until I noticed the intern from the time before heading out as well. Her name was Miss Ral or something like that. She glared at me when I approached Levi's office.

    "He's busy right now. It can wait," she told me with a petulant tone.

    "Mr. Ackerman told me to come by at this time," I replied, poised. "He must need my help. I am the accountant after all."