He nodded and motioned for me to carry on walking. I could tell from the look in his eyes that he had not given up on this whole tethering thing. I felt another twist from the knot in my stomach. My knees suddenly felt weak, but I forced myself to carry on walking.

I got back up on the bike behind Taylor, wrapping my arms around his waist and feeling the hum of the engine revving up mix with the small hum of magic running through my veins. Taylor pulled out into the traffic and as we weaved in-between the cars, I let my mind wander. I knew I had to tell Taylor about Lucas. I cursed myself for forgetting to tell him about it earlier but the fact that my world had collapsed in on itself also seemed to have drained my memory.

Taylor cut through one of the narrow alleyways, we weren't far from my flat. I was just about to lean forward to shout some directions for another short cut in his ear when a huge collision of force knocked me off the bike. I felt myself fly through the air before landing on the pavement. I gritted my teeth at the impact, the small hum of magic in my veins lessened almost as if it had helped me to land somewhat safely. I looked up and saw a tall man, his blond hair pushed back by the wind. He was quite far down the alleyway but I would have recognised those light blue eyes anywhere.

Taylor was speeding towards him, somehow he had managed to steer the bike through the impact. I pushed myself up to my feet and watched in horror. A blue orb of lightning stirred in Lucas hand and as Taylor's bike sped towards him, I saw the purple flames of energy as they licked the speeding wheels. I heard the sharp sound of impact, the flash of lightning as their magical energies locked horns, instantly I felt a sharp sense of pain in my left arm. Instinctively I pulled off my leather jacket and looked down, for a split second stunned, as a jagged line of blood made its way through my cotton jumper.

Only the sounds of Lucas shouting, "I will end you, Rouge!" pulled me back to the moment.

I ran towards them, my feet feeling slow and sluggish as if all my energy had evaporated. My eyes fixated on Lucas, the ball of magic was threatening to dart out of his open palm at any minute. I would not let this happen. The thought strengthened my resolve and a rush of power flowed through my veins, I flew forward as the globe of energy in Lucas palm receded. Before he even had a chance to turn around, I had leapt in front of him shielding Taylor with my body.

"What are you doing Cara? Get out of the way!" Taylor tried to shove me behind him. But the strength of my new found power kept me firmly locked into place.

"Get out of the way," Lucas commanded with a cool and annoyed voice, as if I was simply a distraction.

"No," I felt my voice bellow out defiantly.

I could hear Taylor stirring behind me, a small glimmer of purple energy shot past me and before I had a chance to reach I saw the electric blue light shine before me.

I felt a deep stabbing pain and noticed how my arm was bleeding in earnest.

"Ah," I gripped tightly around my lower arm.

"Cara, are you okay?" Taylor grabbed a hold of my hand, examining the wound.

"Don't touch her, Rouge," Lucas gripped his left lower arm that was profusely bleeding.

His wound looked much like mine and something tugged at me. In my mind I saw my eyes light up in bright blue and the twist of my stomach I had felt at Mr. Liu's, when I had heard his name. What if? What if we were linked? I hadn't been anywhere near the collision when Taylor had tried to run him over with his bike.

"Move over, Vortex," Lucas shot me an annoying glance and waved his hand.

"No," I heard myself say again.