Chapter 6

Taylor feels like it took ages until homecoming. After she had caught Karlie's eyes first thing Monday morning, Taylor had decided to skip every single English class. She mustered up some lame excuse to her friends, but the truth was she couldn't face Karlie. Not after she saw the sadness that was hidden in the depths of Karlie's eyes. It would cause a lot of unwanted attention, because even the biggest idiot on the planet would pick up on the tension between them.

Her and Cara had gone shopping together and had found the perfect dresses. Taylor's was a tight black dress that showed off her every curve. It was sexy, maybe a bit too sexy for a high school dance, but she couldn't care less. As long as it might draw Karlie's attention, she's be happy.

Taylor curses under her breath because she can't pull up the zipper. She wonders why people decided to put zippers in the most impossible place to reach on your own. She's never heard anyone say it is convenient. It might look good but so could zippers on your side or something. It for sure would cause less struggles.

"Do you need some help sweetie?" her mother's voice asks, interrupting Taylor's thoughts. The blonde eyes her skeptically, her mother never helps her out of the goodness of her heart. If she even has some goodness in her heart.

"Why would you want to help?" Taylor asks with a bitter tone. She's not in the mood to deal with her mother, this is supposed to be an amazing night.

"Because I'm your mother and I want you to look nice for your dance. Am I not allowed to spend some time with my daughter?" Taylor keeps on watching her mother closely, but for once she can't detect any indication she's lying. It looks like she actually wants to help.

"Well, you could help me with the zipper, I guess." Her mother steps into the rooms and walks up behind her back. In a delicate way her mother pulls up the zipper. She smiles at Taylor's reflection.

"You look beautiful, honey."

"Thanks? You never say stuff like that." The blonde feels uneasy, not used to receiving complements in this family. It's probably a bad thing that Taylor isn't used to compliments from her parents, but that's just the way it is. Apparently she never gave her parents something to be proud of.

"I know, but-" her mother is cut off by Austin's scream. Her brother informs them that Dianna has arrived and Taylor politely smiles at her mother.

"I've got to go."

"Have fun sweetie," her mother says and Taylor leaves the room.

She greets Dianna with a big smile. Her mother's behavior has caused her to feel on top of the world, it feels amazing to have her mother be proud of her. Dianna bids goodbye to her family and gets into the driver's seat. The ride to school is spent in silence with Dianna occasionally glancing at Taylor. Her eyes are filled with unspoken questions, but Taylor knows Di won't voice them. She's too considerate of other people's feelings to do that.

"You look amazing," Dianna says once they've arrived. "I really like the dress, it fits you."

"Thanks, you look gorgeous as well."

They're fashionably late to the dance, which is why the gym is already crowded with people once they enter. The theme of this year is winter and the whole gym is decorated with snow and ice crystals. It is done in a beautiful way. The blue lights shines over the fake ice crystals in a gorgeous way and the snowflakes on the wall complement the curtains perfectly. It kind of looks like it's a scene from a movie.

"Hey!" Cara exclaims when she sees them and Selena simply waves, gesturing for them to come over.

"You guys look gorgeous," Taylor says once she's fully taken in her friends' dresses.