Chapter 5

While Karlie had slept peacefully, Taylor hadn't. Being with Karlie had felt amazing and when she first fell asleep she was in complete bliss, but all of that changed after her nightmare. She'd dreamed about the whole town finding out about their scandalous affair. Her family and friends had abandoned her, they were beyond disgusted by Taylor and resented her. Karlie was the only one she had left, but when she found the brunette it was too late. Karlie had been arrested, leaving Taylor completely alone.

Taylor had woken up, drenched in cold sweat. All of it had felt incredibly real, but that might have something to do with the fact it could actually happen. What they did last night was illegal. Karlie could go to jail. As for her parents, they made it pretty clear yesterday they're not the biggest fan of homosexual relationships.

Taylor lays on her back, completely ridged. Karlie's arms are wrapped around her waist and she's staring at the ceiling. She doesn't know what to do. Her heart says she needs to stay while her mind says run. She knows leaving is the best thing for them, but she doesn't want to hurt Karlie. The brunette looks so peaceful sleeping next to Taylor. She has a little content smile on her face and Taylor doesn't want to crush the brunette's hopes.

In the end, Taylor does decide to leave Karlie. Gently Taylor removes Karlie's arms from her waist and tip toes out of the bed. She grabs her shirt and pulls it over her head. Just before she leaves, her feet get entangled in Karlie's shirt and she falls to the ground.

"Taylor? What are you doing?" A groggy voice can be heard.

Taylor curses under her breath and walks back towards the bed. She kneels in front of Karlie and caresses her face. "Nothing, go back to sleep," she whispers.

"You'll join me soon, right?" Karlie's sleepy voice asks, an innocent expression on her face.

"Of course." Lie. "Go back to sleep, Kar."

Karlie hums in response and closes her eyes. Taylor gently runs her fingers through Karlie's hair and waits until the brunette is asleep. When she's sure Karlie is sleeping, she presses a kiss to Karlie's forehead, lingering longer than she probably should have. With her hand on the doorknob, Taylor turns to look at Karlie once more. "I'm sorry," she whispers, even though she knows the brunette won't hear it and walks out of the apartment.

The moon is shining over Lakefield beautifully and it's 2 A.M right now. The air is cold and the slight drizzle doesn't help either. Just then Taylor realizes she forgot her coat at Karlie's apartment, but it's too late now. She hates herself for what she just did, because she knows Karlie will be crushed in the morning. A few silent tears run down Taylor's cheeks while she continues her journey home. Still, Taylor believes it needed to be done since whatever they would have had would have caused more bad than good.

---

Maybe Karlie had been too optimistic. She had believed her and Taylor could take on whatever they had to face. She was sure this time would be different, that they would give a relationship a try. Last night had felt amazing and Karlie made up her mind right there and then that she wanted to try, but apparently Taylor didn't feel the same.

It came as a complete shock to Karlie, waking up alone. She remembers asking Taylor to join her and Taylor had said she would, turns out she didn't. Karlie shouldn't have gotten her hopes up, she shouldn't have hoped that last night would change anything. After all, they both agreed they couldn't be together.

The vacant, cold space Taylor used to occupy on the bed was taunting Karlie. The side was neatly made, as if Taylor had never really been there. Yet, if you were to roll over and breath in you could smell Taylor's amazing scent. The same goes for Karlie, on the outside you won't see anything different but on the inside Taylor has left footprints on her heart.