Pity plays a part

Dedicated to CloudsOfFortune

Briar knows everyone and everyone knows Briar.

She's not popular. She just gets around alot. She talks to everyone, she befriends the new kids, she gets along with the cool kids and the nerds crowding each corners of the school.

She threatens her close friends a fistul treat and calls her not so close friends bitches. She claims to have a long list of ex lovers and she always has an opinion or two about a person's flaw.

She prefers the honest brutal truth from people than a sweet gentle lie, but she doesn't like it when people comment about her weight.

She's not fat. She's not skinny either. She's not overweight since she's 74kg heavy and 168cm tall. She's probably all water and baby fat since she is a bit moderately large and nicely soft to the touch.

She likes her dark skin tone as she repeatedly states but is always asking me how the colour of my skin can change from dark to light over the winter holidays.

She hangs out with me when there's no one else left in her circle of friends to hang out with. I'm basically her back up plan but I don't mind.

She insults me blow after blow when she's feeling self conscious.

She says she hates people when all she wants is for those people to love her.

She says she doesn't like him and his ginger locks when she actually wants nothing more than to twirl her fingers through the strands of his hair.

She says he smells like shit and rat's piss when she actually thinks he smells like bacon and eggs and everything nice.

She calls me dumb but will always ask for my notes and my interpretations on certain statements and/or equations.

She's quite dishonest to herself.

She is beautiful but her attitude is a bit sour due to her low self esteem.

That's how my Briar is.

That's the kind of person I'm friends with.

---

We first met three years ago. I was new to the school and well...new to the country. It was literally my first time ever being in a civilized and well developed country. Briar wasn't my first buddy though, but I did sit next to her on the first day.

Briar was threatning one of her two blonde friends about some dramatic thing they were yapping on about. "I swear Lauren, I will punch you in the face if you tell him"

I didn't realise I was staring at her until she smiled at me sweetly. Her small baby teeth, perfectly white, revealed from her thin lips.

"You have cute sets of teeth" Was the first thing I ever said to her.

For a black girl, she blushed visibly that it made her look too innocent for a girl threatning to rearrange another girl's face. I debated mentally whether she was 16 or 14. (Later I found out she was apparently 14, 2 years younger than me.)

Her two blonde friends laughed. The one called Lauren suddenly hugged my arm which caught me by surprise. "That's so great, so great" she praised me between laughs.

It took a while for me to realise how dumb and creepy I must've sounded like, commenting on a stranger's teeth. But I shrugged it off since it was meant for a compliment and I thought she should just be grateful for having cute teeth. Not everyone was that gifted.

"Hi, I'm Teresa" the other blonde introduced herself. "This is Lauren and Briar" she gestured to the girl still clinging onto my arm and then towards the girl with the cute teeth.