Happily Never After

2013 © karylliana

What happens when he’s your Prince Charming but you’re not his Cinderella?

***

Do you believe in fairy tales? Do you believe in happy endings? Do you believe in forever? Because if you do, well I don’t. Maybe at some point I did. But that’s before I met him.

My friends always tell us that we’re perfect for each other. Like a match made in heaven. Our relationship was perfect as everyone could dream of. Even our names perfectly fit each other. Like a fairy tale. But no matter how perfect a relationship seemed to be, there would always be downturns. There would always come a time when something will try to break you apart. To test how perfect your relationship would still be, after all those. Like the witches and crafts in the fairy tales.

***

Once upon a time, I was walking alone in the corridors, holding a pile of papers that I was going to send for our school paper. I was a member of our school’s publication team back then. As I was holding it, someone bumped me from behind. I tripped and the papers I was holding fell and scattered around the floor.  Surely, I got mad as I pick all the papers. I was thinking of all the bad words to say to that person who bumped me. I stood up, ready to scowl at him. And when I looked up at him, he was smiling widely as he place the papers on my hands. I froze. I forgot that I was mad upon seeing him. He was cute and shy. He was wearing a basketball jersey, a ball on his right hand and my papers on his left hand. I took back my papers, he said he was sorry and he walked away. That moment was magical. And from then on, I started to like him.

I got the chance to interview him for the Sports News of our school paper. Because of that, we became friends. We get along really well. That’s when I knew how adorable he is. We remained friends until we graduated on High School.

It was during College when we got closer.  We were classmates and I get to see him everyday. He always sits beside me since he doesn’t know anyone from our blockmates, except me. We exchanged numbers. From then, he would always text me and ask me about our lessons. Sometimes he would even call me.

A year later, he finally told me that he likes me. He likes me more than a friend and I told him that I felt the same way, too. I knew to myself that I like him ever since I met him. And that’s why when he asked me that he wanted to court me, I never had second thoughts about agreeing with him.

Months had passed, and I’ve realized that I’m falling for him. It was different from liking him. And I could tell he was falling for me, too. I never knew he could be that sweet and gentle. He did the usual stuffs a guy does when he courts a girl. He would carry your bag, fetch and drive you home, eat together at lunch or sometimes even dinner, bring you flowers, surprise you with gifts, and tell you jokes just to make you smile. He treats me like a Princess. So tell me, how could you not fall?

Few weeks later, we became official. It was during his birthday party at his home when I finally said ‘’yes” to him. He told me that it was the best birthday gift he had. He was the happiest man that time, I could tell. He was my first boyfriend and I am also his. And we thought, we are also each other’s last.