Prologue

Prologue

                “How do you do it?” Mary Levine flinched on her seat, as she felt fear creeping everywhere around her. She shut her light blue eyes close, praying that everything that has happened just a few hours ago was just a dream… that nothing is real. “Answer me!” The same husky voice demanded for answer, as it made her snap her eyes open, only to look into the officer’s big brown intimidating eyes. His dark brown curls are drenched in his own sweat, as he paced around the room where interviewing suspects are.

            Mary Levine shook in fear, as her eyes met with the officer who was once so kind to her. “How do you cover your tracks so perfectly?” He asked with every word dripping in distaste. The officer even looked at her hatefully, disgustingly, unbelievingly… it’s like every hope he ever had on her disappeared ever since the event that happened a few years back.

            “I didn’t do it,” She whispered hoarsely, her throat itching for water. She played with her fingers nervously, as she broke her contact with the officer’s eyes. She bit her lips, and cried silently. She was telling the truth; in fact, Mary Levine is not a liar. She has never lied once in her life.

But no matter what I say… they will always think that I’m a murderer; that I killed my own aunt. She thought, as she held her tears back, while wiping the ones that have fallen. “Then who did- a ghost?” The officer scoffed, placing his hand on his hip. He looked very much stressed, and worn out. There were dark circles under his eyes, and he looked pale enough to be announced dead. “This is the fifth time, Ms. Levine. Aren’t you guilty at all?” He asked, taking a seat across her with a stern face.

Mary whimpered. She hated it when he called her Ms. Levine. He never once called her that, ever since the unfortunate incident. She shook her head slowly. That’s what they always thought of her… a serial killer. They thought she killed her own family, her best friend, her first love… and now… her aunt, the only family she had left.

What have I done to deserve this? She asked herself, scratching her wrists violently under the table. I’m a curse; I am never meant to love and to be loved. “I didn’t do it,” she started. “I... I… was going to go down the stairs… when… when… my aunt suddenly f-fell… I was half asleep, so I didn’t get to her quickly. By the time I ran down the stairs, she was already dead,” she said honestly; can’t they hear it in her voice at all? She ran her slender fingers down her brown wavy hair that came down a little bit lower from her chest.

The officer glared hatefully at her. “Excuses, Levine!” He screamed, startling her. “When your parents died, you said you were half asleep! When your sister died, you said you were half asleep! No, they did not die an accidental death; they were murdered… by you!” He said with every word full of venom. Mary’s tears threatened to fall continuously, but she held herself back, refusing to be seen weak. She knows she did not kill anyone, and nor will she do that but to her own self.

She nodded at the officer though, understanding him somehow. She then thought about the fact that she took away his brother’s life, and so with his future life. She was nothing but a curse- a bad luck. That’s what she thought of herself.