21 || falling into place ||

Start from the beginning

"Can I come?"

I presented her a look of incredulity. "No." Once I caught sight of the distraught look that etched her features, I caved in and said, "I'll buy you some ice cream on my way back, okay?"

Beaming, she nodded. "Okay."

I messed up her hair, before slipping out the front door and joining Kaedon. Together, we wordlessly crossed the street and perambulated in the direction of the local park, our arms occasionally brushing against each other.

Once we arrived, I took it upon myself to lead Kaedon toward a bench chair and pat the spot beside me, mostly watching as he obliged. With a sigh, he plopped down beside me and set his sheets in front of him, frowning. "Can I just die, please?" he grumbled.

"What have you got so far?" I inquired, bending my head to scan his papers.

And thus, Kaedon and I immersed ourselves into an hour long study session.

It wasn't too long before I decided that enough was enough, and that we could easily continue it later. Kaedon agreed, albeit begrudgingly.

Suppressing a groan, I stretched my legs and cracked my knuckles, permitting my eyes to rove around the park. While in the process of glancing around, I felt a hand curl itself around my left shoulder blade, and I turned my head to stare at Kaedon in confusion.

And while I was too busy asking him exactly what happened, his eyes were trained on a figure -- one that had my blood run cold. Because just as I bent my head to face the crowd, I caught sight of a certain someone that I've been avoiding.

Blaze.

And he wasn't alone. Oh no, he wasn't. Because there, perched right in-between his legs, was a small boy who looked to be the age of six or seven.

I couldn't think of a single reason as to why Blaze would come here, out of all the parks.

Maybe he wants to see you.

And maybe you're being stupid, my mind reminded me.

"Is that..." A grin dotted Kaedon's lips. "Blaze?"

"Nope," I said, promptly taking hold of my papers and stuffing them in my binder. Although, as I prepared to stand up and possibly make a run for it, Kaedon jumped to his feet and pulled me toward him.

My face twisted into an expression that I couldn't quite perceive -- one consisting of mainly despair and vexation.

I dropped my gaze to the ground and felt my shoulders slump at the mere thought of facing Blaze. "What?" I deadpanned, finally meeting Kaedon's inquisitive gaze.

He brushed his red hair away from his face, his eyes zeroing in on Blaze once again, before an unmistakable grin adorned his features. "Let's go say hi," he postulated.

"No!" I hissed shrewdly, seconds away from stomping my foot on the ground. "You're not even friends!"

"Yes we are," Kaedon argued, taking hold of his binders and tucking them under his arm. A wolfish grin glossed his lips as he leaped in the general direction of Blaze, causing a sigh of frustration to unwillingly escape my lips.