Chapter 19: Meeting The Past

Start from the beginning

"Okay." He nodded. "I better get going now. Boris must have been waiting for me. Bye bye, abuela."

***

Lifeless was Nikolei on the bed. He didn't bother to change out of his tuxedo from last night. He felt nothing but pain, as he stared up at the wall above him.

White and plain.

Just the right words to describe his soul right now. His feelings were numb, ever since last night when he went out of his mind after discovering the real truth behind everything he has been holding onto the past years. Nothing seemed to be true to him at that moment. Deficit lies just played the fool out of him after all these years. He had believed in stupid lies people had made him believe.

He had locked his door, refused for anyone to disturb him. After last night, he was ashamed of showing himself in front of his son after he witnessed his big breakdown. The dark look Gayle had passed onto him bothered the hell out of him, and he knew just exactly why. Alexandra had been nothing but a darling sweetheart to his son, and Gayle had loved her dearly for that since Alexandra filled the void in his heart after Rosie passed away.

Nikolei's hand gripped the phone tightly in its grasp as he laid down on the bed drearily. He had made a call to a friend of his last night, just before his eyes put him to sleep. A call was made by him to one of his trusted employee who had been his close friend over the few years they have been together. One name didn't put his mind to rest after he read the diary till the last word.

Brandon.

As always, his friend who insisted to be called L had jumped in on the case in helping him finding the particular one person he wanted L to find out about. This time L knew he was being serious and had told him that he would deliver the result and information today's morning.

He knew who Brandon was. Nikolei always disliked the man since they were enrolled in the same university. Born and bred in the line of a family with blue bloods running through their veins, Brandon was groomed to become the perfect heir to take over his family's business. He'd always found Nikolei to be a threat and a competition to him in the business world. Business world was a well known social hierarchy Nikolei's family had ruled over the past years, and Brandon was very determined in coming on top of him and take the throne away to be dominant among all.

Weirdly, he has never heard of Brandon after his wedding with Rosie came through. He disappeared, just like that. No words, no news and no rumors were said about him after the wedding. It's like his presence was diminished from the upper society clans. However, Nikolei did heard about his unfortunate dealings in several projects which had led him to bankruptcy but nothing was ever proven by anyone.

Everything's gone. Just like that.

Soon after, the phone rang and Nikolei took the call in speed. He's impatient, and nothing could stop him now from finding out more about the truth.

"Yes, L? Have you got any lead or something?" He said exasperatedly into the phone, almost shouting.

L chuckled heartily on the other side of the line while Nikolei was getting aggravated by each seconds but he did not want to be called rude by L. The last thing he needed now is a petty childish argument with his friend in this hasty situation.

L inhaled sharply, "Take a breath, Nik. It wouldn't kill you, you know."

"L!" He said sternly. "Any matter of time now, please."