"It's a shame that the bat has such horrible timing, isn't it?" The green haired psychopath swings his crowbar twice, laughing maliciously at my trembling frame. I'm not going to lie, I'm terrified. I've never had a high tolerance for pain and if I am ever to receive a beating from The Joker, I wouldn't last through a fourth hit.

A loud crash is heard and my head snaps towards Harley, my breath becoming rapid as she picks up the dropped can of the infamous Joker Gas and brings it towards me.

Harley is barely three feet away from me when a flash of black sends The Joker to the ground.

An involuntary sigh leaves my lips as one of his allies or sidekicks or helpers or whatever they call themselves (there's a lot of them, okay?) runs over to me and unties me from the chair I was strapped to.

I cling to his side, cringing at the damsel in distress cliché that seems to be taking play. I snort at the thought, earning a questioning glance from the boy who pulls me to safety.

Red Robin. That's what he goes by. One of many allies to the Bat of Gotham City. He also makes his numerous appearance's on television, alongside the Teen Titans.

As if being a teenager isn't enough hassle as it is. Assuming he is still a teenager due to his frame and the way his body is built.

My palm shakes as he lets go of me, a deep sigh leaving my lips.

The upper half of his face is covered in a black almost bird like cowl, the cape falling from his shoulders. His abdomen, chest and arms are covered in a tight red fabric, his toned muscles showing through. His legs are covered in the same tight fabric, but black. The shoes he wears blend right into his pants, barely able to be seen apart. A yellow utility belt circles around his waist and a yellow and black symbol is on his chest where his cowl and cape are secured onto his shoulders. From what I can tell of his face, his jawline is sharp and his lips are a light shade of pink.

He pulls me out of an already broken window, grappling to the top of the building neighboring the warehouse. We carry on from building to building, neither of us speaking a word. With a whisper of a grunt he readjusts his grip on me, destroying any chance of me slipping and probably falling to my death. I gasp, as the wind flies through my hair causing it to obstruct Red Robin's line of vision.

I splutter an apology, quickly pushing my dark hair out of his face and behind my ear. He chuckles heavily, his chest vibrating against my head as he does so. My top of my head only reaches just about half an inch above his shoulder due to our height difference. I'm shorter than most girls my age, I get that from my mother.

"Where do you live?" Red Robin speaks. "I'll drop you home, it's not safe out at this time of the night."

I tell him where I live, making sure to mutter a small 'thank you'. He just smiles.

"It's no problem. Keeping people out of harms way is part of what I do, if you haven't already noticed."

~

"Oh, sweetheart!" My mother envelopes me in a hug, her arms squeezing me tight. My dad pats Red Robin on the shoulder, saying something inaudible from where I stand. He nods back, a smile gracing his lips. The superhero gestures toward me as he speaks and my father rushes over and ushers my mom back into the house. She nods furiously, thanking the superhero for bringing me home before re-entering our home.

I look to Red Robin, my eyelids heavy due to lack of rest and sleep. My eyes sting as I successfully fight to keep them open until he has left. I don't want him to leave without having thanked him.

"Thanks again for, uh-"

"Don't worry about it," He flashes a shy smile, his thumbs resting in small loops on his utility belt. "I didn't get your name though, I'll need it to help me look into what the Joker was up to."

I would have snorted at him if it weren't for the somewhat serious atmosphere we are currently in.

"Penelope," I say, once again tucking a few strands of stray hair behind my ear. "But everyone just calls me Poppy."

"I'll need to see you again sometime tomorrow. I have some questions for you but now doesn't seem like the best time to ask them." His expression stays the same, a shy yet confident type of stoic. He's straightforward with what needs to be done, his body rigid and his posture almost perfect. His lips return to a thin line as he speaks.

I just nod at him, not really registering much of what he's saying due to fatigue. The important parts of his sentences were clear though, I know I'll be seeing the hero tomorrow.

"You're brave, you know?" He says. "Anyone else in your position would have been bawling at this moment."

"Thanks, I guess." I merely shrug, sending him a small and lopsided smile. He returns the smile, subtle yet still deep dimples appearing on his cheeks.

"I'll be here in the evening. Does that work for you?"

"Yeah, that should be fine." I mumble, bouncing awkwardly as I speak. My arms wrap around my body in attempt to make myself warmer as a sudden gust of cold, Gotham wind blows lightly.

"I'll see you then, Penelope."

He turns to leave and with a smirk he's gone, his cape flying behind him almost majestically as he swiftly glides through the air.