A Deal Made

Chapter 30

(A Deal Made)

Epiales lounged on a picnic table a pleased smile on his face. He was surrounded by the sounds of whimpers from children surrounding the park he was in. He loved the sound of human’s reactions to nightmares.

‘Children are so easy to scare,’ He thought to himself. He was quite content when he felt the pull of not only a little terror but the internal screams brought on by nightmares in vast quantity. Intrigued he disappeared to see where the terror was coming from.

The God of Nightmares was more than a little surprised to find himself on a train full of mortals. Most of which seemed to be asleep. At first he was confused until a bare glimpse of short blonde hair made him wonder who was causing all the ruckus.

Careful not to be seen, he made his way closer. He stayed just outside of the door of the next train car and saw Phobos. ‘That explains it,’ He thought to himself. “What are you doing…” Epiales fell silent as his eyes fell on Alexandria and her friends. “Well, well, what do we have here?” A cruel and calculating smile crossed his face. “It seems I have the means to get back at Ares after all.”

Though the God of Nightmares had never seen Alex before, the ring on her finger revealed her to him. While he didn’t care if Ares took a mortal bride or not, he did want to get even with The God of War. He waited and as Phobos disappeared into the dreams of another mortal he entered the train car. He walked up toward the sleeping human woman and didn’t even bother to hide his destination. With everyone asleep it wouldn’t even matter if she woke up.

He was almost to her when a fierce growl surprised the God of Nightmares. He was even more surprised when he saw a young fox come out, blocking him from getting any closer to his intended victim.

“You can’t stop me,” Epiales said amused; his black eyes sparkling with sinister amusement. “There is nothing you can do.”

Enya growled and then began barking and yipping wildly. The young fox new strength wise she might be outmatched but there were other things she could do.

“Shut up you mutt!” the god yelled at the fox. He grabbed for Alex but Enya leaped through the air and chomped down on the god’s arm causing him to scream from the pain.

**

Alex was more than a little surprised to wake up and see a man she didn’t know being attacked by Enya. She hadn’t seen the fox since she’d run. “Enya!” she yelled seeing the fox flung off the man’s arm and into a nearby wall. Without a second thought she grabbed the nearest thing to her and threw it at the unknown assailant.

She watched as the man turned and instantly knew two things. He wasn’t human and she was in trouble.

“Who are you?”

**

Phobos was in the middle of having a man dream of being audited when he heard barking. ‘What the hell is that?’ He asked, annoyed that he’d been interrupted. With a huff he disappeared to find out what was going on, in the train.

Phobos appeared thoroughly intending to yell at someone or something for disturbing his fun and froze. “Epiales.”

“Ah hell, another one?!” Jimmy asked now awake and looking from one god to the next.

The God of Nightmares looked at the group of humans and Patty did the only thing she could and screamed bloody murder. It was then that several mortals began to stir; having been woken up by Enya’s barking as well.

“Run!” Phobos yelled at the alarmed humans just before appearing between them and the God of Nightmares.