A garden and a ring

Chapter 9

(A garden and a ring)

Medusa walked casually through her garden. It wasn’t a garden of roses and tulips. No, this garden was full of beautiful, but deadly plants. Nightshade covered the stone walls. While looking pretty, it was also deadly. Datura Stramonium, also known as Devil’s Snare, covered all the exits of the garden but two, one that led into her hidden home and the second was the front ornamental iron gates that allowed entry into the garden for visitors. Nightshade decorated those gates as well. Every deadly, but beautiful plant, one could think of could be found in her garden. Unless a person studied plants however, they would not realize the beautiful plants on the borders of her property were dangerous.

Many victims simply saw a beautiful woman standing on a balcony in the distance surrounded by beautiful plants. Enchanted by her beauty and the beauty all around her, they would make the mistake of venturing closer in hopes of catching her attention. In some cases, a woman would even approach if only to ask what a name of one of the beautiful plants was called. It was always a mistake, for both Medusa and her garden were masked by a beautiful lie.

When her hood was up, Medusa was very beautiful. However when her hood came down was when a person would quickly realize she was not as beautiful as she seemed, but far more deadly than they could have ever imagined. Her garden mirrored her. As deadly as it was beautiful.

One might think a woman with snakes for hair would have a very creepy garden, but this was not true. Though now immortal and cursed, she still enjoyed beautiful things. There was a waterfall and a very small creek that ran through the center of her garden. It was only three feet wide. Stones bordered each side of the creek. Stone pathways stretched out throughout the vast gardens. Fountains were sporadically placed, as were stone benches and columns. It was the kind of garden where young lovers might walk in and perhaps a young man would propose.

Evidence of such an event taking place in Medusa’s garden could be found next to a small bird bath.Sitting on a stone bench was a woman with a falling smile as she looked out toward the path. A man down on one knee before the woman held out a small jewelry box containing an engagement ring. His smile fading as well. Once human, they were now a stone warning to others and a decoration for the cursed woman. The couple had not even had a chance to scream, much less beg for mercy, as they were suddenly turned to stone.

Night had fallen as Medusa walked out into her garden and took a seat on a bench next to some Belladonna. She knew it wouldn’t be long before her guests arrived. ‘Little Aphrodite is going to be so pleased to be dealing with another being that has reptilian roots,’ The snake-haired woman thought fully amused.

Medusa sensed Echidna before she saw her. “On time as always.”

“Of course,” A woman with brown hair and mesmerizing yellow green eyes replied , walking down the path towards her.

“You don’t have to hide your appearance here,” Medusa assured the other reptilian creature.

Echidna shrugged. “I thought it best not to scare the little Olympian Goddess of Love.”

“She’s not here.”

“Good,” Stheno said, walking up from the opposite path of Echidna with her sister Euryale. “I still don’t see why any of us should help that cheating twit! Who cares if Ares marries some mortal girl?”

Medusa looked at her fellow gorgons and sighed. “Do you really think I would agree to anything without an ulterior motive?”

Echidna laughed. “I knew there had to be more than you were saying in your message,” The brown-haired Nymph said, crossing her arms and looking very pleased.